Clipping planes still too painful. Will it get better before V6 launch?

i want to point out that these hatches dont work properly on blocks

Yep, I’ve been working on this and will be working on this for a while. Blocks require quite a bit more effort to get right.

Just to make sure we are looking at the same thing, do you see section lines in this attached model?
simple_clip.3dm (398.9 KB)

Here is what I see in basic shaded mode

Also, does your display mode have the following two items checked?

Any traction on this idea from 2017? This would be so useful.

We deal a lot with pins and bushings, and it would be useful to be able to exclude those from clipping plane sectioning.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan -

That’s implemented in Rhino 8, yes.
-wim

hi @stevebaer, I do see your simple clip:

If I paste my blue sphere and my green cylinder into your simple_clip.3dm I do not see the hatch on those parts!

Here’s with the added geometry that doesn’t hatch, also when I pasted this geometry I saw the Octane plugin window loading, could the problem be Octane related?
simple_clip_busted_by_gf.3dm (711.5 KB)

G

Your objects don’t have any section style applied. Select the blue sphere and look at the object properties panel. Change the Section Style from “ByLayer” to “Custom” and select a hatch style.

you are right… applying custom do work now:

I see what was happening in your initial model. The section hatches are there, but since they are the same color as the object it was nearly impossible to tell.

I went back to my original troublesome file and now it works both ways:

1. I set both objects’ section style to custom in their object properties, then the hatches do work.
  2. I set both object’s section style to by clipping plane, and then set the clipping style in the clipping plane, they also work.

I think this was a user error then: probably I had set the clipping style in the clipping plane options, yet I had the 2 objects’ properties section style to ‘by layer’ so it was ignoring the clipping plane’s section style.

This 3-way of setting a clipping appearance is pretty powerful, but also very confusing at first. Sorry for the false alarm. I think @John_Brock is going to get a lot of clipping planes calls for a while until people figure this thing out :slight_smile:

G

1 Like

…add that to the support nightmare scenarios too then. Thanks for checking.

G

@wim, @Trav and @rajaa we should think about potential ways to improve setting the color for a section. With the default display modes, the hatch color and the shaded fill color behind the hatch are identical. If Gustavo is getting confused, we’re going to make a whole lot of people confused.

Whatever you do settle on, it surely will need to be fully explained in exquisite detail in the help!

Hi Wim,

Yes, I see that now. In case anyone else is wondering, it’s controlled by the clip pulldown in the object properties.

Dan

1 Like