Clipping planes still too painful. Will it get better before V6 launch?

Dunno, Age of Ultron (the movie) doesn’t promise much good from super powery persons.

1 Like

WISH: Similar to the bolt unclipping example,
but if there was way to clip surfaces and not the wires that’d be nice.
When trying to close a surface and many details are behind surfaces ghosted mode doesn’t work and wireframe can’t get the correct surfaces.

I use clipping to get to that hidden parts, but If i can see the wireframe of the whole content it helps to identify the surfaces.

Yes indeed. USUALLY implementing only at MAJOR releases is reserved for NEW features, not corrections applied to existing features.

-Chuck.

Wonder if cross-linking here will do any good, but I was recently on a hunt for a way to toggle individual clipping planes, but toggling them all would be nice too:

(Either that or a way to simply flip/flop between two commands every other time you click on a button, but that’s outside of this topic…)

hi @eobet,

maybe this will help:

–jarek

Thanks, yes I saw that and tried it, but unfortunately didn’t like it. I want the toggle button in a custom toolbar, and when I placed your script in a custom toolbar, the popup menu jumped around between clicks (and unnamed clipping planes displayed a bit weird).

What I did now is simply put this in a button:

! _SelClippingPlane _Pause
_PropertiesPage _ClippingPlane

That still means an extra click for me, but it felt more stable.

RH-46092 is fixed in the latest WIP

Thanks McNeel team for adding the fill on closed sections. This is very useful for imported geometry w/naked edges, or scanned data.

I do not see an option for hatch fill like shown on the youtrack, it’s not implemented yet, correct?

thx,

G

Hi Gustavo -

That is implemented.
Look for the “Section Style” pulldown on the Properties panel or the column with the same name on the Layers panel.
-wim

Thanks @wim, I’ve found it, but it doesn’t;t do anything here…

Any ideas?

G

Hi Gustavo -

Not from only those two pictures, I’m afraid. Can you post a simple model that I can take a look at?
Thanks,
-wim

Looks like you’re setting the section fill for the clipping plane. This means you’ll need to set objects in the scene to use “By Clipping Plane” for their section styles.

You can also select objects themselves and set their section styles to custom.

hi Travis, Wim,

IO tried both ways: setting it by clipping plane and by object, but still I cannot see it. attached file.

clipping_plane_missing_hatch_01_gf_220823.3dm (3.0 MB)

Thanks,

G

Select the sphere and cylinder and set their Section Styles to By Clipping Plane.

Then zoom in to see that crazy small hatch

Then go back to the clipping planes section style and increase the hatch scale from .1 to 10

HI Trav, I just tried that. Making a video to make sure I’m not doing it wrong:

I tried various scale levels and nothing happens.

When I changed the hatch type to solid, this weird thing happened:

Here’s my system info just in case:

Rhino 7 SR21 2022-7-27 (Rhino 7, 7.21.22208.13001, Git hash:master @ c31aea87137a5d0de449338a7ef6856f49dd4797)
License type: Commercial, build 2022-07-27
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 11 (10.0.22000 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 1.3e+02Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (NVidia) Memory: 24GB, Driver date: 6-6-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 516.40
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #2

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-6-2022
Driver Version: 31.0.15.1640
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 24 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6\Bongo.20.rhp “Bongo 2.0”
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Users\GustavoFontana\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\OctaneRenderForRhino (f109bd23-4cf3-4c0b-9f83-06be474b0152)\2021.1.4.132\RHI Installer 7\Rhino 7.0\x64\OctaneRenderForRhino.rhp “OctaneRenderForRhino” 2021.1.4.132

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.21.22208.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Any thing else I can try?

G

Here’s what I’m getting

What happens if you leave the clipping plane section style to By Layer and then just set the object properties section style for the objects to something like grid at scale 10?

still not good…

Hi Gustavo -

I see from your video and 3dm file that you are running the current Rhino 8 WIP but, just to make sure, could you post your SystemInfo from Rhino 8?
-wim

Have you customized your display mode? What happens if you test with vanilla wireframe?

hi Steve, Vanilla wireframe works:

I reset the other viewmodes to default and still does not work. I tried with a build that Trav gave me and still same problems. I just updated my nvidia drivers again just in case. problem persists.

G