Can you guess these materials ? - eye calibration

Just by looking at them can you guess the composition ?
(I am surprised how we think we know what a material looks like, but … how accurate is perception ?)

(I will leave it up here for a few days and then post the results on Friday 2022.01.07)

resin, I only can tell there are some kinds of resins.

1 Like

There are two C’s … oops, sorry guys. Just call them C1 and C2

Honestly, I think it’s close to impossible to tell from small, lo-res, over-compressed JPG’s. Some of them could be almost any kind of SSS material, ranging from plastics to wax, resins, stone, mineral etc. Anyhow, for the fun of it:
A silicone
B Wax
C1 Some sort of cheese… goat, maybe? :laughing:
C2 Jade or similar mineral
D Resin
E Jade (since it looks Chinese)
F Marble
But I’m not sure about a single one of them :upside_down_face:
-Jakob

I totally agree.
Furthermore, I think what this is about is that the perception of materials is greatly dependent on the expected material. A bit similar to a taste test where people are served brown orange juice and orange coke.

You are right, but there is reason. Our mind cheats but using a collection of peripheral clues to assess a material (eg surface shine, surface lumpiness, volume inclusions (eg for stones or gems) ).

The issue at hand is, if these other factors were neutralized, can we tell a material by it’s SSS only? In other words can someone REALLY tell the difference between resin and stone if the stone was selected to be free of impurities or veins ?

It could be wax, PTFE, PA, PE…

The reason I made this post is that while making a material it became apparent that the SSS of some materials is so close that the brain cannot tell them apart UNLESS other clues are used such as impurities (like veins in rock, etc)

The actual materials above:
A) White translucent Spanish alabaster
B) White translucent Italian alabaster
C1) Shellwax block
C2) Translucent Jade
D) Wax
E) Translucent alabaster carving
F) Nylon figurine