BUG - Beta - Block Instance Dialogue Warning Issue

Hello,

I’m making use of the new Import Model Block Definition component and confused on how to make best use of it with referenced, linked blocks.

Essentially, I check if the Block Definition already exists in the model. If it does, I insert instances of it with the Model Block Instance component. If the Block Definition does NOT exist in the file, then I use the Import component to bring it into the model and then connect that output to the Model Block Instance component.

Anytime I make a change, I get the following dialogue prompt. Regardless of whether yes or no is chosen, the result is my block instances appearing as I want them too. However, this is a huge break in the workflow to have to choose the dialogue option every time the script re-runs.

Furthermore, I’m confused as to why the dialogue is appearing at all given that I’m baking a referenced Model Block Instance with the Bake Content node set to “Update” I would expect it to understand that the Block Instance already exists in the model and then simply update it if the position has changed or else ignore it and bake the others. Perhaps that’s not how it works though?

The behavior I expect is the following:

-Insert Block Instances at plane locations, bake these block instances and have them show up at their locations to commit them to the model as block instances OR alternatively, use Custom Preview on the exploded Reference geometry to preview it without baking.

Either way, I’m stumped on how to get around this dialogue while working with dynamic block spawning in Grasshopper R8.

@AndyPayne or @kike when you have a moment could you please shed some light on how best to work with the Block Instances in GH when they are linked and specifically how to prevent the dialogue pop-up warning?

Thank you all!

EDIT:

Okay I realized the issue, this is directly related to the objects being baked with the Locked Visibility Attribute set to True.

If unlocked prior to baking, the dialogue warning does not show up.

However,

If I lock the layer that the blocks are being baked too. I can achieve the functionality of the baked blocks being locked in the rhino document yet the warning dialogue does not pop-up.

This is why I’m reporting as a bug, as I would expect the dialogue to pop-up regardless of whether the block instance itself is locked at the object level or whether the layer that it is on is locked.

To be clear, I do NOT want the dialogue to be appearing. Ideally (in my opinion) the locked setting should have no influence on whether or not the block instances can be imported/inserted into the model.

I’m sure there is a reason as to why it’s setup the way it is though…

Thanks for your response

1 Like