Boolean union fail trim fail difference fail

Hi,

V5
I have traced carefully this letter R, then used pipe on it, all are the same as done at same time.
It fails boolean difference on my object.

I Boolean Union it and that fails.
I use trim and get one junction ok, then the rest wont trim.

why ? and how do I get this as a single solid to boolean difference with ?

Boolean Difference and union fail also trim fail.3dm (1.0 MB)

Cheers

Steve

Hello- Boolean operations that invlove coincident non-planar surfaces will generally always fail. In this case you need to be more careful about lining things up cleanly so that ttrimming and joining has at aleast a chance but branches on a pipe will be tricky. I might go about this with some cleaner curves and some surface filleting, like so:

then trim.

You’ll want to set the file tolerance to .0001 though - the scale of this object is getting to be small for .001.

Another approach would be to use SoftMove > Curves on control points of a very dense surface, with curves not needing to be joined or fully resolved. Like so:

Trim the planar edge into your part. But, then you have an absurdly dense surface, you don’t want to write paragraphs like this…

-Pascal

You make the R differently - that thing is a piece of junk…

Boolean Difference and union fail also trim fail-RFix.3dm (4.2 MB)

The trimming does work if you temporarily set the tolerance much tighter. When its trimmed one of the surfaces is cut up into a sliver that is 0.001" to 0.00025" wide. You can’t cut things up into pieces that small with a tolerance of .001".
trimx.3dm (965.5 KB)