Bongo 2 IK - not user friendly and intuitive

My thoughts exactly. The current IK view (in the Animation manager is hardly informative.
I amused myself by working out an idea I was chewing on for some time. The widget (as Andrew calls its) could replace IK view in the Animation manager.
The basic concept is a graphic organizer similar to Grasshopper’s interface, consisting of a canvas on which every animated object (or related ones) occurs as an entity. Every component presents its name and its object type (point, curve, (poly-)surface, block, group) by means of icons. Additionally IK data (hinge, telescope, rubber band, ball, and/or constraint) is displayed through icons, as well as ‘energy’ info (object moves, turns, scales of is active via a Simple Constraint).

Initially the tree (hierarchy) is presented by Bongo in a traditional ‘Pedigree’-way.

(the illustration shows the elements of the scissorarm in my video The conception of an IK-chain)
Then the user can arrange the components (just like Grasshopper’s element) to support the ‘logic’ of his system. Alignment tools can help in the organization (cfr Grasshopper).

(illustration shows the elements in scissor-arm scissortable2x Ik 002.3dm above)

Some features:

• Unanimated object to which an constraint is set up are in display as well (in distinct graphics).

(the illustration shows the elements of Bongo - simple roller coaster.3dm above)
  • Objects (with no significant role) can be shrunken to get out of the way.

Grandfather with his granddaughter while father is momentary out of site.
  • A selected object reveals (highlights) all relationships and related objects (cfr. Grashopper).
  • The display can be zoomed (in, out, extends …).
  • Mouse-over (or clicking) the various icons can display supplemental information (list of Simple constraints, axis used by IK-joints, relax of constraints etc…)
  • Clicking (or double-click, or right-click…) an icon opens the concerning window for editing (Simple constraint dialog, Ik-joint type or axis, kind of constraint of relax/constraint…)
  • Parent/child connection can be initiated, deleted and/or rearranged just like in Grasshopper’s GUI.

Secondly, supplementary to the previous, a Bongo-display-mode for Rhino’s viewports could be interesting. Just like Neon has its own View-mode.
This concept is based upon the illustrations in my tutorial-videos.
The display would show not only hierarchy links and joints (somewhat more explicit than the current ‘decoration’) but also constraints, and whether an object is ‘energized’ (by keyframe-entries) or not.

(illustration shows again the elements in scissor-arm scissortable2x Ik 002.3dm above)

Some features:

• A grayed out display of the actual objects can be optional.
  • The size of the icons can follow the pivot-size (and/or adjustable in Options).
  • Unanimated object to which an constraint is set up are shown as well.
  • A selected object reveals (highlights) all relationships and related objects

I sure hope the monitor is alert.

2 Likes