AutomationSample: GetPlugInObject(pluginId, pluginId)

Hi all, i want to develop an application that runs automatically rhino with a plugin, so i start looking this code (Automation Sample)

but i can’t understant the 58th code line:

plugin = rhino.GetPlugInObject(pluginId, pluginId);

in the documentation i can’t find that function, so why that works? Also i tried to use the listed function in the documentation, but them don’t work.

Thanks

Hi Alessio,

The GetPlugInObject method on the Rhino application object returns a COM object from a plug-in. The first parameter to the method is the UUID of the plug-in that you want the object from. The second parameter is the UUID of the object or type of object you want returned. In the example you reference, the plug-in only has a single COM object. Thus, the second parameter is ignored.

Does this help?

~ Dale

1 Like

Thanks for your reply dale, yes it is helpful, at least now i know why there are two parameters.

But i still have a doubt: where is decladerd that method?

Or it’s a feature of all COM methods that require an additional parameter that specify the type?

Thanks again for your time

I don’t believe it is documented anywhere. But here is some good information on automating Rhino.

http://4.rhino3d.com/5/rhinoscript/introduction/external_access.htm

There isn’t much you can do with either the Rhino application or interface objects.

If this were implemented in .NET, this is what the class declaration might look like:

class RhinoApplication
{
  // Shows or hides Rhino
  public int Visible { get; set; }

// Gets the RhinoScript COM object (from the RhinoScript plug-in).
  public dynamic GetScriptObject();

// Get a COM object from some plug-in.
  public dynamic GetPlugInObject(string plugin_uuid, string interface_uuid);

// Runs a script or command macro (i.e. RhinoApp.RunScript).
  public int RunScript(string script, int mode);
}

Does this help?

1 Like

Thanks dale for your help