Attention Teachers- How can we help and support you to teach Rhino?

how does that differ from here?

BTW, there is a designated channel on the McNeel Discourse for teachers. Not very active at this time, but could potentially be a good place to exchange knowledge and share feedback and resources:

1 Like

I like what you’re saying here. In my instruction, I always try to integrate 3d concepts and common pitfalls (like how scale gets distorted by looking at stuff on a computer screen) as I’m teaching the software. Thanks for the comment!

1 Like

This sound very interesting.
I would love to see one of your “prior to model” exercise to understand better.
I teach mainly to higher level of students (Master or graduated) and I’m always facing the problem you describe. Most of them do not know how to represent their idea, it’s not a software problem is the metodology.

One of the tool I use is a presentation where I explain the bottom-up vs top-down metodology in the 3d modeling. It’s a small help to bring student to the idea behind surfacing and Rhino.

Cost.
A little background, I taught scenic design for 17 years at the collegiate level in entertainment design programs.
I stepped back into the professional world in 2018 and then when the Actors/Writers strike was in full swing in 2023, I stepped back into the classroom.
When choosing the software I was to teach, I could not justify the cost to students when most of the other programs out there were free to students. The one I chose was also free to the institution, but to be honest that was not a contributing factor in the decision.
I do believe that Rhino is a superior program for scenic design in a myriad of ways but as I was at a state school, I could not justify the cost to the students.
When other programs are available for free, Rhino is not going to be the first choice.
Also, while working in entertainment, (film/t.v.) Rhino was preferred because of the cost and the pricing structure. It was also preferred because of its versatility, its ability to interface with other methods of idea expression, (3D printing) and Grasshopper.