Approaches to Modeling

Hello,

I have been experimenting with different approaches to modeling and wanted to get some feedback from other modelers. The first approach I have tried is to build everything clean from the start i.e. single span curves/surfaces, good cv flow, G2 matching etc. The model is very methodical and I don’t move to the next surface till prior ones are resolved. The second approach I have tried is to hack models together with tools that create a lot of spans (network surf, sweep rail etc), essentially blocking surfaces in quickly and then rebuilding and cleaning up all the messy surfaces rhino creates out of the box. Which approach do you think is more efficient? Are there cases where one or the other would be better?

Thanks!

Hi Justin - if you are to some extent designing as you go, then I’d probably bend toward the second approach more, and then refine… but in truth, for me at least, it is usually a mix like that - get something in then make it perfecter. I can imagine if the design is locked in and you have some reference - like working off of a scan, then the super careful-from-the-get-go way might be more workable.

-Pascal

2 Likes

Pascal’s advice is good.

What are you modeling? Are you creating new designs or replicating an existing design? What will your models be used for?

@pascal @davidcockey That makes sense. Lately I have been working from orthographic sketches, so the designs are mostly resolved before I begin modeling. Today I am working on a model that doesn’t have a pre-set design so I’ll try to utilize the second method more.