A problem about "Goo"

(Andrealu2012) #1

it means thas i should wrap the “curve” with Igh_goo,but why should do this?can someone explain the intention of wrap?
Thank you!

(David Rutten) #2

All the data stored in Grasshopper data trees must implement the IGH_Goo interface. There are several reasons for this, in no particular order:

• By wrapping structs into interfaces, it becomes possible to store them as null values.
  • The goo interface provides some methods for Grasshopper to format data so it can be shown in panels and tooltips.
  • The goo interface provides methods for Grasshopper to convert data of one type into another type, without the need to rely on a limited set of pre-defined conversion methods.
  • It also allows Grasshopper to (de)serialize data to and from files.

These are the most important reasons, but there’s more. Also other functionality (transformation, bounding-box measuring, drawing, baking) all requires that data types implement certain interfaces, so wrapping is already necessary.

GH_Structure<T> puts an IGH_Goo constraint on the the T, so you’ll have to use GH_Structure<GH_Curve> and then access the Value property of the curve goo if you want the wrapped Rhino curve. But be careful, it may be null.

(Andrealu2012) #3

thankyou,David,I understand you!i will be careful the Null.