A Massing Masterplan

In an effort to get better at, well, everything, I’d like to play around with massing masterplans in the same vein as Zaha Hadid’s Kartal Pendik masterplan. Stylistically, this is the type of thing that I’ve often designed without the aid of Grasshopper as I’m still relatively a noob at Grasshopper–although working to improve. The downside was that every iteration often required me to redraw everything from scratch, which was tiring.

Getting back to the matter at hand, OBVIOUSLY, this is an ambitious ask… Elk seems like a good place to start.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hello sailor!
Interesting project indeed, but parametricism is dead, move on! (50% kidding)

I really like using meerkat because it’s simple. It has only 4 or 5 components and it gets the job done. If you are only looking to import shapefiles into the grasshopper environment Meerkat is the one! I had some issues with Elk in the past, sometimes it doesn’t read the files and you just don’t know why… Meerkat sometimes fails, but not as much as Elk or at least down here in the southern hemisphere with the encoding types and all that. As far as I remember the support on both from the developers is almost unexistent… so you have that…

I hope this helps, if not fell free to ask…

Best regards,
Sir Ernest Shackleton

1 Like