I am a new user to Rhino. I am attempting to utilize it to create a 3D-printed casting mold for ceramics. First I am creating the piece I want to cast, then I will subtract it from a mold cylinder or rectangle, slice it in 3 (left/right/top) and print it hollow.
This is what I am trying to create: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypxer6we47I (the white plaster mold)
Now I know that Hammerly Ceramics does this process with Rhino as well, so I know it is possible: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/78672324727996552/
He just seems to 3D print the mold semi-solid: https://i.imgur.com/zVOTkX7.png
So here is what I am trying to make, like the YT video, a mold for my bowl which requires a top piece: https://i.imgur.com/RWQtmj1.png
My questions are:
- Is there an easy way to orient a top down sketch line 90 degrees right side up? I managed to somehow rotate it by dragging, but I am concerned it is not aligned properly. I imported a background sketch, traced the lines in the top perspective, then I rotated it.
- Is there a way to properly orient an object straight upward so it is not tilted?
- Is there a way to discern the width of this edge? I tried measuring the linear dimension to no avail https://i.imgur.com/9EPJTGx.png
- Dimmension is really important since I have to make sure this is exact. I need to make the top outter edge exactly 8.62 cm, is there a command I can input that will proportionally scale the whole object to that diameter? Keep in mind, this isn’t the outter most edge, but the top-most edge which tapers inward a little.
- Is there a way to adjust the thickness of the outter wall at the top (where the yellow lines are in a the previous photo) to a smaller size, or perhaps am I able to soften the slope?
- Is there a way to do something, like add a triangular bump and have it copied radially at this point?
- Is there a way to add or subtract something from the edges and snap at an equal distance to each quarter?
- Is there a way to add a guideline near the top so I know where to cut off the mold at for the top piece? Like radially around the upper outer wall?
I realize a lot of these questions might be answered in basic tutorials but I haven’t found the answers to the specifics I am looking for. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.