V6 Wish: Temporary tolerance button

I find that I often need a temporary tolerance and messing with the absolute tolerance is risky as we can forget to set it right again.

I envision a button next to “Record History” that can be clicked and like “Record History” stays active until the next command is finished.

This would be great for tools like Make2D, “flow along surface”, twist, taper and other tools used when sketching.

We often sketch in the same file that we construct in, so lowering the tolerance from 0.001 to 0.1 in the settings can be risky if we undo a lot, and forget to check the tolerance before further modelling.

Thanks!

Do you have any specific examples of this requirment? I feel I’m missing an important point here, where I’ve been modelling something it’s always set to 0.001mm as standard.

What benefits are there for changing the tolerance? I understand that there are situations where you don’t need to be very accurate, say, placing a door frame within a room doesn’t need fractions of a mm accuracy but what benefit is it to work with 0.1 rather than .001?

I’m hoping it’s something daft I’ve missed and it’s staring me right in the face…

I’m sure you’ve had a look at the thread: Visualizing Tolerances, and Geometry Question

(By the way, I’m not questioning your wish, just my understanding for the need to change tolerances at all if you’re working at 0.001 :blush:)

Make2D for example works much quicker with a lower tolerance setting.

I think it’s a good suggestion as it would help make users more aware of tolerance, and would also be a good visual aid to remember to adjust it when needed.

Ah it does? It’s not something I’ve explored but sounds like I should, Thanks for the tip!

Another way to do this would be to add tolerance settings to commands where it matters - some already have this, Offset, OffsetSrf maybe others.

-Pascal

1 Like

Yes, but I imagine that would require more programming and was the main reason why it had not been implemented on more tools. So therefore I figured a temporary toggle could solve most needs.

Thanks for the link, I had not seen it.

All the UDT tools (Bend, flow, twist, taper etc) and also cage edit are tools that benefit from lowering the tolerance WHEN SKETCHING. I never use the UDT tools for prodcution since it adds too much data (isocurves) to stay within tolerance.

Projecting curves can also be with a low tolerance, as these might not need to be withing production tolerance. (The main benefit is keeping pointcounts low for further modelling)

When modelling for production it is important to keep the tolerance tight.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for clarifying. That makes sense, it never occured to me to lower the tolerance for the first stages of design.

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

fwiw, when i first started using rhino, tolerances were one of the most confusing things to understand… i get it that a temp button is useful but my point is more about it being an advanced user feature… not sure if it should be so prominent as to place it in the main GUI… unless it was something you turned on in the preferences (or similar)

I find that I often need a temporary tolerance and messing with the absolute tolerance is risky as we can forget to set it right again.

Yes !
A way to handle tolerances would be very helpful.
Just being able to see the tolerance value on the screen (permanently) would help not to forget to reset its value.
I often do that … :frowning:

Talking about V6, a thing that I think Rhino is missing is a way to have useful values constantly shown to the user.
I’m thinking about some kind of ‘toolbar’ … maybe a ‘valuebar’ or ‘infobar’ where the ‘button’ would be like message boxes with user defined expressions, say Tolerance, GridStep, etc …
That way we could easily check values that we like/need to know … but may have forgotten about
Thanks

FWIW, for this particular issue, I think that Pascal’s suggustion is the way to go - i.e. add a modifier to the command. Something that is permanently in your face is likely to go unnoticed when it matters most and you’ll end up having to go back and redo things anyway.

1 Like

Hmmm … trying to guess how that would work …
Should the tolerance value stick for these commands ?

There are a few commands already that have tolerance settings specific to the command.
The one I can think of now is Convert.
That, I think, is what Pascal is suggesting.