Quaternion fractal ring - digital and casted in silver too

One day I was amazed by quaternion fractals.
So why not fabricate one hehe
I ended up with 16 grams of silver for this cast.

I liked the effect of shrinkwrap over marching cubes better. Even tho with tens of thousands of points, it started crashing a bit.

Here you can have a look at it in my shop with a kinda cool 3d preview too:
https://massmess.world/jewels/6542af483a0e5d52a9cd9ad7

My dream is to code a web-based quaternion fractal explorer so anyone can find his fav.
Yet to come…

6 Likes

That’s great! Have you tried using Chimpanzee for the fractals?

I ve coded it from scratch in c#.
Unluckily I have never tried Chimp, can’t see if it has quaternion fractals. Looks like a cool plugin tho

1 Like

Yeah it has some great fractals and I thought it might also produce some interesting solid objects. I hadn’t thought about using shrinkwrap on the points output from chimpanzee so i will try that.

Can you offer any guidance on how best to go from lots of points to a point cloud that is suitable for Shrinkwrap input please?

Hi Martin, you will find a script here. You need Millipede and Dendro

I think I took it from that or similar
Quaternion Julia Fractals).

Hi @laurent_delrieu I used one of your other tricks for creating point clouds!

It’s really quick. This fractal had 500k points!

This is fun!

1 Like

Hi,

I am so glad, you enjoy using Chimpanzee, it´s very satisfying to see people like the plug-in. The current version of Chimpanzee does not support quaternion Julia set however there might be a component in the Chimpanzee 0.5. and maybe more :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth::wink: but don´t tell anyone !!!

P.S. If you wish any particular fractal to be included in Chipanzee, just let me know. There are already a lot of fractals on https://www.matousstieber.wordpress.com which are not included in the plug-in

3 Likes

Finally being able to turn the points into useable meshes with shrinkwrap is great!
You might want to add a point cloud output to components?
Great work anyway… Looking forward to the next version!

Unfortunately I have only Rhino 7, so no ShrinkWrap for me at the moment. However I would be astonished if it would work with 10 000 000 points efficiently.
I might add the point cloud output, I was already considering the feature for the current version of Chimpanzee.

1 Like

I’ve only been trying it with 50k to 500k points!
Anyway, Chimpanzee is great. Thanks for your work and for sharing it.
I am enjoying creating interesting meshes to 3d print and hopefully machine in wood someday.
I wish I understood more about how to adjust the parameters on each component. I just use trial and error, one at a time.

This and projects on your website are super cool Matouš!

1 Like

@martynjhogg I was considering to add a point cloud output to components, however point cloud is not a native Grasshopper type so the question is how to implement this feature efficiently and is it even usefull to implement it, will the users be able to preview the point cloud without any other plugins?

Might as well just do as I did above (suggested originally by @laurent_delrieu who posted another option too) and use the PointCloud component native to GH in Rhino8. Points go into input “L” and it outputs a point cloud.

Some people have used script for point clouds if you don’t have Rhino8 but I don’t know anywhere near enough about scripting to know if this is useful!

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/adding-points-to-rhinocommon-pointcloud/116259

The PointCloud component is however only R8 feature which means how would the users of R7, R6, … use such as component? I do not want restrict the plug-in only for the R8 users.
Yes, I am aware of approach from @Petras_Vestartas, however the Cockroach plug-in has an additional component just to create a point cloud or to explode a point cloud into points, colors and vectors. So what would be the approach, to add a similar component for exlode a point cloud for R7 users to be able to display the fractals? The second output of the Chimpanzee components are usualy not the particular colors instead simple integers according to the iterations and the user has the option to decide which color spectrum to use.
Anyway what are the most significant advatages of using a point cloud as the output instead of points?