How to use fillet on edges?

Is it possible to add a radius (fillet) on a long curvy edge like this? On both top edge and bottom edge, see red marks on screenshot, but all the way following the “river” in the model. The surface (green in screenshot) is a mesh surface.

When I use FilletSrf I get these wierd fillets and they look really bad.

This would work better if you rebuilt the polylines used to build the geometry for the subtraction of the river.

I’d rebuild the polyline into a degree 3 curve or interpolate the corners so the result is one continuous curve.

Doing that, you get much less segments and especially no kinks in between.

Post your rhino file with the relevant geometry and curves or a part of it if you need help

How do I post my rhino file? It says it is to big to post when I try.

Try the save small option and when that doesn’t reduce the file size enough to be able to post it, post just a part of it.

Thanks!

Here is the model, just a small part of it where you can see the lake and river with edges I would like to give radius to.

Lochan Urr topo HB-1.3dm (9.8 MB)

My goal in this case would be to have the vertical surface as one continuous segment.

Things like this here are never going to fillet successfully:

You have to extract the boundary curves and rebuild them:

Then extrude these curves vertically and subtract. Optionally you can patch the riverbed.

Lochan Urr topo HB-1.3dm (6.2 MB)

Thanks!

But I am not sure if I understand exactly what you have done. I thought the vertical surfaces of the lake and river in the model where already continuous? But you mean is that I will need extrude the curves of the lake and river, to get a new wall? But how do I replace the current walls of the lake and river with the wall I extruded? You mentioned something about rebuild?

The vertical surfaces were created with polylines. A polyline extrudes into a polysurface, one surface per segment.

I extracted the outlines of the bottom surface of the lake and riverbed with the DupBorder command.

Then using the rebuild command, I chose I think 200 points for the lake and 500 for the river. Note the SubD friendly option needs to be off for this.

I scaled the new lake outline vertically with factor 0 so it’s planar and extrudes into a closed polysurface.

The riverbed isn’t planar so I patched it without the trim option.

1 Like