Zoom is slow in realistic mode

Hi,

Display is very slow when zooming in realistic mode in Rhino 6.0 with a 60Mo file Visualarq model.

However 3D rotating object is fine.

What could cause this problem ? Is there a sort of purge function to clean the model (if the model is the problem) ?

Thank you,

Christophe Poirier

Hi @poirier.chris,

Can you run Rhino’s SystemInfo command and post the output here?

– Dale

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, here is the Systeminfo result

Rhino 6 SR28 2020-6-23 (Rhino 6, 6.28.20175.14591, Git hash:master @ 9ddbd1399e001a3eae701470332b5379477fa7d6)
License type: Éducation, version 2020-06-23
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Poirier ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.8Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-NM4UU2U

Hybrid graphics system.
Primary display: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-15-2019 (M-D-Y).
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro K3100M (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 5-29-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 426.78

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-29-2020
Driver Version: 25.21.14.2678
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.28.20175.14591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\Tibidabo.rhp “Tibidabo”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.28.20175.14591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 6.28.20175.14591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.28.20175.14591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Tibidabo\VisualARQ.rhp “VisualARQ”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Grasshopper\GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.28.20175.14591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.28.20175.14591
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi @poirier.chris,

Your system looks in good shape.

If you are zooming with the wheel mouse in a perspective-projected view, then zooming can become slow as the camera location gets close to the target location. You can “reset” this, basically, by using the Zoom Windows or Zoom Target.

– Dale

Thank you Dale, i’ve tried to “reset” like you suggest but zooming is still “jerky”… any idea ?

Christophe

Hi @poirier.chris,

First of all, the “Realistic” display mode is a VisualARQ display mode that shows objects using their render materials and also shows the silhouettes. This display mode will be always slower than other display modes because silhouettes are slow to compute in realtime.

Rotating a view is usually faster than zooming (using the scroll wheel), because rotation sets the Rhino display pipeline in “dynamic draw” mode until you release the mouse button. During a “dynamic draw” change, Rhino and VisualARQ try to draw the viewport as fast as possible. On the contrary, zooming using the mouse wheel is not a “dynamic draw”, because each “click” on the wheel is a full draw. I guess that if you try to zoom using ALT + Right Button it will be as fast as rotation because it is also a “dynamic draw” operation.

Anyway, if you think zooming is too slow, send me the model to visualarq@asuni.com, and I’ll take a look to see what’s going on. Maybe there is something wrong with the model, or there is a bug on VisualARQ.

Regards,

Enric

Hi Enric,
Now i undestand the difference between the two zoom mode, ALT + Right Button work fast as you say. However i’ve tried something, i’ve copied the 3D model in a new Rhino file and in this case zooming with the mouse is as fast as the ALT + Right Button. In the original file i’ve 15 presentation page with 2D picture and 2D plans from de 3D model, can it be the source of the problem ?
Regards,
Christophe

Hi @poirier.chris,

Yes, having 15 details on a layout page can be very slow, and each display update needs to draw all 15 details. Rhino 7 has improved page display a lot by caching a bitmap for each detail, but I think this is not going to speed zoom operations, as the cache is not valid when zooming.

Again, if you want, send me the model to visualarq@asuni.com if you want me to check if there is something wrong.

Enric

Hi Enric,

I think i’ve found the cause of the zoom slow-down, i’ve removed in the document the two 2D plan and the two 2D section generated by Visualarq and the zoom is faster and less jerky. This solved an other problem i’ve encountered, sometimes when VA regenerated the graphics, it take a lot of time (tens of minutes) with 99 % of the processor used. I think there is something wrong with the 2D plan and section in my file. The file is about 50MB so i can’t send it by mail.

Christophe

Hi @poirier.chris,

VisualARQ plan and section views are slow because they rely on a custom Make2D implementation, which may be very slow depending on the geometry in the model. They also make models slower and bigger, because lot of curves need to be added to the document.

This is why I always recommend using real-time plan and section viewports.

You can send me the model to visualarq@asuni.com using a free service like WeTransfer.

Regards,

Enric