Zoo HTML Port

Would it be possible in near future to change the html-port of zoo?

It makes no sense for me to rob the port 80 just for a service, so a virtual Server only for that little service is a must (we have not the resources to do that).
We have a number of license servers running, a few with status-web-pages. None of them use port 80.

We have reinstall the Version 5.1 of zoo, because we cannot use the actual version. Our server must host a webservice on port 80.

kai

(Dale Fugier) #2

Hi Kai,

No, this will not be changed in the near future. We may consider it for a future release. But using HTTP make is very easy for our customers to get a Zoo server up-and-running quickly and easily. So there is niot much incentive to change from the current behavior.

I don’t understand this, can you clarify?

Thanks,

– Dale

With version 5.1 intalled we have no problems to use our webservices.

As we host our official website there, we cannot use the SR8 zoo.
Its just a small server without resources for additional virtual Servers.

(Dale Fugier) #4

Yes, Zoo 5.8 does contain a web service.

http://wiki.mcneel.com/zoo/monitorlicenses

I should add the Zoo can run on an ordinary computer - it does not require a special server system…

I also support making the port configurable for the Zoo in a future release.

I understand that using 80 makes it “easy” for many sites, but there are plenty of sites that run multiple services on a server, including myself in which I run about 10 different license services (different proprietary software), some of which are configurable and some of which are not (including Zoo). None of the others take over a well-known, official port, however.

If you’re not going to use an actual HTTP server for your license service, then you really should at least allow a different port to be configured for the Zoo service. Port 80 can remain the default for “easy” setup, as long as it can be changed.

Just providing feedback…
Thanks.
Eric

(Dale Fugier) #6

Again, the Zoo does communicate via HTTP, so using port 80 is not such a stretch.

Allow for port configuration is on the wish list…

Hi Dale,

Not sure why you are so strongly negative on allowing an alternative port other than 80.
Other treads here: http://v5.rhino3d.com/forum/topics/network-port-80
My understanding is it boils down to the following reasons:

1. Port 80 causes the least problems as it’s commonly left open and supported by VPNs.
  2. Zoo can be installed on any free computer that has port 80 not in use.
  3. Zoo uses HTTP for communication so port 80 is valid.
  4. Allowing the port to be changed will create more work for administrators.

These would be my comments:

1. Sure I get this reason. So the obvious answer is make port 80 the default, and bury the option to change it deeply in the UI so it’s unlikely that people will “play” with it without good reason.
  2. This is true, but we have a small company with one server. Sure we have other workstations it could be installed on, but they get turned off when people are not there. It seems wasteful to leave a second computer running 24/7 when I already have one on all the time that could do the same job. But we have an IIS server runing on port 80 on the server.
  3. There are many different daemons that use HTTP, doesn’t mean they have to use port 80.
  4. If you leave the default at port 80, I am not sure how this creates more work for admins.

I would like to add another vote to get this functionality added. And I would say it needs to have a higher priority that just “wish list”. Where does it stand now in the scheme of things?

I am now stuck with having to install an operating system inside a VM on the server just to get this working in an acceptable manner (talk about more work for admins). I just don’t understand the road blocks in allowing this to happen. I can’t really see the downside.

Cheers, Ian.

(Mikolaj Jarski) #8

Hi @dale,
Is it still not possible to use other port than 80?

(Dale Fugier) #9

Hi @mikolaj,

No, this has not changed, and it probably never will.

That said, new with Zoo 6 is the ability to bind the Zoo service to a specific IP address. Thus, if you’ve configured your server for multiple IP addresses, it is now possible to run the Zoo on one IP address and another service, such as IIS, on another.

zoo_ip

– Dale