Yak, Backwards compatible packages: "No compatible distribution found for ScriptParasite 1.0.4"

When I don’t need newer API features, I generally build my packages against rhino 5 and grasshopper 0.9.x, to be able to serve as many people as possible.

Before recently, this used to be backwards compatible with any rhino version I’ve encountered.

Now when I package my yak package, it automatically creates a rhino specific version. (e.g. 5.1).

When I try to update this to the latest in Rhino 6, I get an error message: “No compatible distribution found for ScriptParasite 1.0.4”

Does this mean that I should start building different versions for each rhino version I want to support?
(Packages built this way used to work fine in the past).

Hey @arendvw, you’re totally right; this needs to be better supported.

When yak builds the package it inspects it and adds a distribution tag to the filename which is read by the server when publishing. The platform part of this tag is configurable with the --platform <platform> argument, but there isn’t yet an equivalent to override the Rhino version.

The package manager only allows you to install packages that match the minimum Rhino version. There’s also a secondary requirement that major version numbers match. I plan to make this requirement optional but that change will only affect Rhino 7 and above.

I’d suggest either renaming the Rhino version part of the filename to support Rhino 6, e.g. ScriptParasite-1.0.4-rh6_0-any.yak, or you could mark it as being compatible with any version of Rhino, e.g. ScriptParasite-1.0.4-any-any.yak.

By using different distribution tags you can publish different builds of a plug-in multiple times using the same version number.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks for your support again Will. This helps a lot. Great to learn that yak is learning to be nice to multiple platforms and versions.

I’d suggest either renaming the Rhino version part of the filename to support Rhino 6, e.g. ScriptParasite-1.0.4-rh6_0-any.yak , or you could mark it as being compatible with any version of Rhino, e.g. ScriptParasite-1.0.4-any-any.yak .

I can imagine this sentence could be part of the grasshopper documentation