Xylography-Like

Hey everyone! I’m trying to comprehend all the program’s subtleties in my creative research at the moment. Currently looking for a method of processing xylography style images (just like in the picture):

Looking for .gh file or a link to a similar forum topic.
In the future, I plan to implement the idea of weaving color pictures with this method:

I am new to programming, so I will also be grateful for your help

Did you try to use a search engine ?? Research means searching !!!

https://fr.lmgtfy.com/?q=Grasshopper3d+line+drawing

4 Likes
1 Like

For some reason I was looking for xylography, and completely lost sight of the “portrait” and “stripes”
P.S.: It was funny to read your annoyed comments in every topic. Many thanks.

Hello, I begin to be quite old, quite half a century, so I began my life without internet and now I am astonished to see that the “young” generation doesn’t seem to measure the power of search engines and the amount of information that is at some clicks. Don’t give up if a search is not good change the keywords, use site:www.grasshopper3d.com to limit the search on grasshopper forum …
Use also google image that is very powerful, you can search with words and image link …
https://www.google.com/imghp
But yes sometimes finding the good word is tricky.
Meanwhile I didn’t know Xylography word !! And your last image of Marylin is inspiring. Stay tuned.

5 Likes

@Danny-Santos-Portraits

Some improvments, each channel look at a color (red, blue, green, brightness)

Parilyn Andy Warhol

9 Likes

Great job!
I wrote a similar filter for Photoshop at the time. You should play with stripe minimal thickness, layers order and also try CMYK insted of RGB
Now I’m gonna wait for 25 years when your .gh file will be declassified and you’ll share it :slight_smile:

I can share my file but it is just some C# doing mesh strip or sort of mesh tubes. I finished by using distance betweens colors to adjust the thickness of lines, yes there is a minimal distance. There could be many options.

Anyway, I don’t understand how you weaved them in 3D. You are probably a hacker

Please, share!
So, how did you manage to create a weaving structure? Suppose I have a set of vector lines in 4 basic colors (or what do I need). What’s next, master?

i think he’s using one rgb channel horizontal and another vertical, the yellow is background or could be 3rd channel or greyscale of the bitmap. That part is kind of easy and weaving is a cull pattern up or down.

I’ve been trying like crazy to flip his logic horizontally and just can’t manage. Feeling so stupid with a simple GH script!

Hello mister no name !
Here the script, there are quite a lot of sliders but as it is fast it will be not difficult to understand how it works. It could surely be done with GH components but it is faster for me to code.
The logic is simple.
Draw “lines” in X and Y, deconstruct each line in nn points, look at the color at each point and then measure the distance from a defined color (even stripe has a color, uneven stripe another color). As a color is a sort of 3d point I use the Point3d euclidian distance metrics.
Weaving is very simple, it is just a Sinus. Hope you know this function.

Provide :
A filename of the image you want
4 colors
color of uneven vertical stripe
color of even vertical stripe
color of uneven horizontal stripe
color of even horizontal stripe
number of vertical stripes
number of horizontal stripes
number of subdivision along the stripe
factor of multiplications of stripes (> 1 can overlap)
a bool if you want to invert
distance from the color, the max distance is sqrt(3) = 1.7
relative height of weaving
min relative width of strips
a toggle if you want to make tubes
parameters of the colors using Joseph @Joseph_Oster component
That’s all.

2.5D

3D

Xylography.gh (26.8 KB)

2 Likes

Chapeau!

I learned weaving from my mom who learned it from an Indian in Ecuador 40+ years ago. Macrame came a few years later. Never thought it would weave color theory here in a 3-7 color offset printing and moire (fresnel) context!

Thanks for the memory-lane trip Laurent!

Thank you very much for the professional detailed answer - quick, accurate and concise. With legible illustrations.
I was initially confused by this picture:
4c662f200883e7255561e18418fcfbd106a864e7_2_544x500
It looked like the stripes were tightly woven - I did this in 3ds max using various physical simulators, but it required prohibitively high computing power. And you’re definitely a hacker!

You could get that by using Catmull&Clark (from Weavebird plugin) subdivision from 3d mesh and play with the internal value named
float heightFactor = 1.6f;//
The bigger the more close the tubes will be.
Slider relative height will allow you to flatten the tubes.

1 Like

Try this aswell

image.gh (55.3 KB)

1 Like

I’m already afraid to ask more complex questions because every time you find the strength in yourself to give a detailed answer. Therefore, this time I will not ask anything, but I will simply please the old man with a couple of fresh ideas.
Mechanical monitor
Suppose we have an axis with vanes mounted on it. In the initial position, these vanes are lined up in a straight line.
1 2
Suppose there is a way to control each vane individually, and each vane can be rotated up to 90 degrees:
3 4
Now imagine that the axis has a sufficient length and that we have a sufficient number of such axes for adequate image transmission.
5 6
Color mechanical projector
We will need 3 RGB light sources, our axes with vanes will be placed on light beams. Together on the screen colored channels will form an image:
7 8
I would give everything to watch a movie on such a projector. And I got some new ideas on this topic, but they look even more difficult to implement. However, dreaming is not harmful.

1 Like