XNurbs Rhino plugin is available!

Yeah, sounds great :sunglasses:

Getting better and better…

Philip

2 Likes

I’ve received email thank you. Can confirm 1.1 installs now without any issue.

I downloaded it and installed.

Sample using Xnurbs!
Three pipe joints.
Select all edges and select points to create.

junction pipe for rhino6.3dm (576.0 KB)
junction pipe for rhino5.3dm (3.6 MB)

Thanks for users’ feedback. Based on the feedback, it appears that, while XNurbs is the easiest-to-use software, some users are actually not sure how to use XNurbs correctly (setup wrong input) and they were only able to use XNurbs for some trivial cases, e.g., filling some simple holes when the holes are accidentally suitable for XNurbs dialog they set… Since XNurbs is super robust, so even users did not use XNurbs correctly, XNurbs could still produce the “best” surface from rubbish input, which is imperfect. However, the imperfect surfaces generated by XNurbs may be still better than the surfaces generated by other tools. So some users were just unaware that they did not use XNurbs correctly…

We asked Vladimir Aleksic, an experienced designer, to develop tutorials and demos for XNurbs. The following are some of the demos produced by @Vladimir_Aleksic. Hopefully, users can learn more quickly how to use XNurbs correctly. We sincerely appreciate Vladimir Aleksic’s efforts.

Watertight Fender (All are generated by XNurbs with G2 continuity.)

3 Likes

Watertight Jet Ski Hull (All are generated by XNurbs with G2 continuity.)

Step 1: Create the bottom surface (two boundary curve + two internal curves)

The following video shows how XNurbs creates the bottom surface of the Hull. While the video only demonstrates the most basic operation for XNurbs, once you understand how to operation XNurbs, then you can use XNurbs in thousands of different operations and XNurbs generates all other Hull patches in the same way: users just select curves or points, XNurbs will generate the smoothest NURBS surfaces that satisfy all the inputted constraints. Notice the surface quality generated by XNurbs.

Step 2: Create the side surface from a curve network, which is used as a draft surface for form finding or a rapid concept design (Keep G2 continuity with the bottom surface created in Step 1.)
Hull2600

Step 3: Refine the side surface created in Step 2. (Use the surface created in Step 2 as a rapid concept surface, extract curves from the draft surface, split the side surface into two patches and edit the extracted curves, then run XNurbs again to generate the refined surfaces on the fly.

Step 4: Refine the bottom surface and complete the front surface. (Similar to Step 3, use the surface created in Step 1 to extract curves, edit the middle curve to the desired shape, then run XNurbs again to generate the refined bottom surface. As shown in the image, keep G2 with the neighboring surfaces.)
Hull4600

Step 5: the whole watertight Jet Ski Hull.
Hull6600

2 Likes

Watertight Mouse (All are generated by XNurbs with G2 continuity.)

2 Likes

Watch the video for the creation of the top mouse surfaces.

Watch the video for the creation of the side mouse surfaces.

Watch the video for the mouse rendering.

1 Like

For users who are actually not sure how to use XNurbs correctly, please watch the demo videos frame-by-frame.

Thank you very much, Vladimir Aleksic. Users will appreciate your work.

2 Likes

How to use XNurbs efficiently: First use XNurbs for the rapid concept design, i.e., form finding or generating a draft surface, then extract curves from the draft or concept surface, edit the curves and/or split the surface into two or more patches, then run XNurbs again to generate the final result.

In other words, many curves in the demos above are extracted from draft surfaces when using XNurbs for the rapid concept design.

This comment is not only condescending, it shows how you live in a world of fallacies. Do you know how do software (and hardware) professionals make statements like “[product] is the easiest-to-use software”? They completely ignore the creators’/designers’/developers’ opinions (usually very uninformed, biased, self-referential and wrong) and they do usability tests with a group of users in their target market; and see what they think, what they do, and how successful they are with the product. If a product is easy/hard to use it will be based only on those findings, not on what you think, not on how good your technology is, not on anything else. This is an iterative process, you build, you test, you reflect, you build, you test, you reflect, you build, you test, you reflect, you build, you test, you reflect…

Sincerely wishing you success, and trying to help you here. You seem to have a pretty cool technology. Hopeful you can also turn it into a good product. Technology and Product are two entirely different problems, and solving one, does not solve the other. Not even close.

Re: video tutorials. What you have is …ok, but very rough. Making videos is also a hard skill. Take a look at Brian James’s work here: Rhino Tutorials. and Dave Schultz’s work here: Rhino essentials - Rhino Video Tutorial | LinkedIn Learning, formerly Lynda.com

Always posting the 3D files of what you are modeling in the video can increase the engagement and tutorial success dramatically.

I hope this helps,

G

7 Likes

Looks compelling! Want to try on real projects destined for production.

However, for the Mac user base, having to jump to Windows to use XNurbs is a bummer. (Deal breaker for some)

Any hope this might be workable for you and efficient enough to give it a go…in due time?

2 Likes

Are these videos intended to help users learn to use XNURBS, or to impress potential purchasers with how fast a skilled modeler can using XNURBS? Currently the videos appear to be the latter.

Suggestions for the tutorial videos:

Have the user slow down and occasionally pause. For instance pause after selecting input curves, etc so that the viewer can see which curves were suggested and what continuity conditions was used with each. Slow down. Much slower.

Increase the number of lines in the command line space so more of the sequence of commands can be read.

Provide .3dm files with both the input and the results.

4 Likes

Yes…

Philip

1 Like

So - the demos were made to show xnurbs functionality on various objects, the objects themselves are “incidental”, I don’t get why anyone would need those models if they are trying to learn the software.

If there are any questions or requests I would be happy to help you, my advice would be to download the trial version and give it a go, it’s well worth your time.

all the best.

1 Like

Vladimir, with all due respect, it isn’t useful to argue with your potential customers, especially when you are introducing a new product. If people will be more likely to try your product if you provide the files, humor them!
Nick

These videos are created by @Vladimir_Aleksic, who is a Rhino user and only started to learn XNurbs last month (like others)! It is true that Vladimir is a talent designer and a skilled modeler, but he is also pretty new to XNurbs.

We already know that users are actually not sure how to use XNurbs correctly. In fact, from the beginning, big CAD companies knew that, in terms of surface creation capacities, generated surface quality and performance, XNurbs may be way ahead of the existing systems, but they would bet that users might not be able to use XNurbs though XNurbs is extremely easy to use. I would say their judgment about users is correct. However, once users figure out how to use XNurbs, there would be a lot of trouble for other high-end CAD software (Minicomputer in 1970s VS. today’s PC).

We will ask Vladimir to produce a much slower video. Once users understand how to operation XNurbs, then they can see all XNurbs operations are the same. Users will appreciate Vladimir’s efforts to show them how to use XNurbs.

Vladimir Aleksic is a Rhino user and only started to learn XNurbs last month (just like others). He is not trying to sell XNurbs to you!

These screenshots might come from real projects, so I would not ask the models … Once users understand the videos, then users can see all XNurbs operations are the same and users can use the same operation to any applications or designs. It is really that simple.

Some users said that V1.1 greatly improves XNurbs stability. The truth is shocking. For its stability, the "biggest” improvement for V1.1 is the "Boundary Constraint" checkbox: V1.1 re-selects the "Boundary Constraint" checkbox every time users type XNurbs command. This trivial change greatly fixed the “instability”. We are surprised that users are not sure how to select/unselect the "Boundary Constraint" checkbox, but they are happy with XNurbs …

Could you tell us why you would like to use XNurbs with .NET?

Some Mac users use a virtual Machine to run XNurbs. It is not a good idea - In the past, Mac computers are good. However, now Mac has little value (overpriced and poor performance). So why do you guys stick with Mac?

A mac is so much more than comparing components to price. (Same goes for all other well designed software and hardware) My laptop is a mac that runs windows because it is just the nicest laptop I could get. It’s pretty, the screen is superb, it’s silent and the battery time is excellent. As a designer it is much more appealing to use an elegant computer and I wish I could switch to the iOS full time, but too much of the stuff I do rely on windows stuff. So I don’t use the iOS, but I fully understand that people do. A tech wizard might hate it, but for the laypeople it’s ecosystem is superb.

2 Likes