Wow! And a few requests and questions already

It looks like Discourse displays both a linear and nested response arrangement…have a look for this under your msg that I responded to.

Nope… I’m still seeing your response displayed at the bottom, and no way to know which post this was in response to, except that it was to me… is there a way to change it to a nested view that I’m just overlooking?

There’s a box in Ncik’s message saying “in reply to heath”…click it and you see the message it’s in response to, so it’s not exactly a totally different nested-view mode.

Ah, now I see that the box is click-able. Yeah, that helps – still nowhere close to nesting, but I’ll see how that feels after awhile. I looked into it and it seems nesting isn’t supported in Discourse (yet?)

If you select text and then click the “quote reply” button that appears, you can include a quote in your reply. And that quote gets linked back to the original post. I think it actually works pretty well, even if it’s not displayed as a tree.

There’s a box at the top of the reply and a VERY feint box at the bottom left of the original replied-to msg.[quote=“heath, post:24, topic:97, full:true”]
Ah, now I see that the box is click-able. Yeah, that helps – still nowhere close to nesting, but I’ll see how that feels after awhile. I looked into it and it seems nesting isn’t supported in Discourse (yet?)
[/quote]

This is a known issue, for some reason Microsoft decided to wait many years to implement pushstate, we “sort of” support IE9 but it is far from an optimal experience.

Aha! Ok, that drops a nested list of replies. That helps… better. This’ll take some getting used to…

Ok, if you configure your account properly and add your name to your sugar sync profiles the public shares show only your name:
https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D48193_158211_168667

I’m really confused about this. I’m pretty sure that when we first discussed discourse I visited their site and seen a very nice hierarchy view of the messages that I can’t see here nor there today.

The way it is it’s just a big mess with a lot of different parallel conversation threads intertwined in the worst possible manner.

And the Rhino3D group is second to none when the matter is going off topic and branching conversations over and over again.

And I still can’t see a tree icon anywhere.

Something else that may help

• if you click on the “in reply to …” link on your post, you can read what the message is replying to.
  • if you click on the “X replies” link that fades in the lower left corner of a message, it expands to show the replies to a specific post.

Discourse is being written where all data is passed around with a JSON api. This is great because it will allow for other applications to be written for working with the data in discourse. I can already tell that there is enough information in the system to be able to construct a tree style UI for messages is someone wanted to write one.

2 Likes

It seems like a diamond in the rough, with flexible enough design foundations for the potential to improve.

I completely agree. The discourse developers are reading posts on this forum and making improvements every day. My plan is to upgrade the server every Monday to use these latest changes. I’ve already figured out a way to roll back to an older version if the one that I install on Mondays crops up a bunch of bugs or causes the computer to melt.