Working with Sheets is frustrating

Hi, is this a common thing that working with Sheets is so slow?
Even extracting some simple information can take 5 minutes to proceed and Revit is going through this neverending cycle of reloading sheets one by one (I think it says it’s generating graphics).

Currently, I’m working on a project in which I need to change some parameter values of titleblocks or add viewports to 120 or 250 sheets. One false move and I’m stuck waiting for many minutes…
Sometimes I’m surprised that placing a given component or modifying it by e.g. flattening output triggers Revit to reload every sheet.

This thing made me thinking if there should be boolean input in RiR components to activate them - currently, I enable/disable them using Metahopper.

It’s not really a bug or request type of topic but maybe there are some good practices one might want to share or maybe some RiR tutorial video might be done to help others work with sheets and not waste a whole day.

Hi Jakub,

I feel your pain and started sketching out a quick video on this exact workflow this morning.

Yes, working with sheets in large projects is going to be slow. Turning off all the objects doesn’t help much in this regard. A lot of these processes require the view to be opened, hence the reloading the sheets etc.

Getting Element Visibility on these Sheets (which are only one discipline of many on the project) takes 2.4 hrs.

Adding 54 Sheets with View, legend and Keyplan takes about 20 minutes.

1. Lock solver before opening a GH file.
  2. Know exactly what is happening in your GH definition.
  3. Create the definition in isolation with two branches to ensure it works before deploying.
  4. Create targeted definitions (not a series of connected spaghetti)
  5. Have the ability to regenerate the list in a separate GH file (the main reason #4 happens)
  6. When frustrated (silly mistake causes you to redo everything) remember what its like to do these processes manually.
  7. Be prepared to redo everything (backup of original state)
1 Like

Thanks, Japhy these are really good tips. I am more aware of all the timesinks now and probably will refactor my definition before the next project.
At some point, I was thinking about hooking up some Human UI but considering how many things can go wrong I’m more hesitant now.

Out of curiosity, I need to ask, were there any discussions to add boolean inputs to RiR components so we can activate them this way? As I wrote I’m using Metahuman to enable/disable components but maybe a similar effect can be achieved with some stream gates, I was never keen on using data dams for some reason.

It’s a bit like Rendering, one small setting miscue and you’re watching your computer churn for hrs.

When the solver is locked you can refresh to run the definition even while locked. This works well so you don’t accidentally switch GH definitions and run something.

A few ways to control the disable/enabled components:

Create a group. Right clicking on the group will quickly select all components, which can then be enabled or disabled.

Triggers (lock enabled) work well, too.