Working with large quantities of hatches/blocks

I’ve designed a few graphic tiles with which I have populated a wall. The tiles are blocks which I have placed using grasshopper. Each tile consists of hatches- they are used to export to illustrator as a filled path/compound path. Right now I’m looking at 14,000 blocks. It takes me about an hour to explode these blocks back to regular hatches (which total at around 250,000). Is there a faster way to do this? I have a feeling it may have something to do with Rhino having to draw all the hatches. Is there a way to maybe lower the render quality of hatches, or make them invisible?

I have 24GB of RAM. I don’t explode all the blocks at once- maybe 1500 at a time. It’s fast at the beginning, but then by the last set, it is really slow. By the end my RAM usage is up to 22G.

Hi Lawrence - you might try (be careful though, save first) ClearUndo after each Explode… does that speed things up?

-Pascal

Thanks @pascal

If I do ClearUndo after each explode, the time do explode seems to stay constant with each subsequent 1500 set. I am monitoring my RAM via task manager- ClearUndo does not seem to have any affect on RAM (it does not go down at all).

I guess my problem is solved.

Hey @Pascal,

This is a new command. Can you tell us when “Clear Undo” should be used?

ClearUndo has been around for a long time. You have a certain amount of RAM memory allocated to store the operations you might want to undo, and this simply frees up that memory - the penalty of course is that all your undos disappear…

–Mitch

I remember using this command pretty much all the time in RH1. :wink:

It shouldn’t - as in “that shouldn’t be necessary”. Not on modern hardware with enough RAM.
To be able to undo a command, a previous state of geometry will be kept in memory. Your undo stack is limited by the amount of memory you have set aside in the Rhino Options > General > Undo > Max memory used (MB): setting.

EDIT - what Mitch said :smile:

Amazing. Thanks, Mitch.