Working with embedded textures and rendering plugins (like Octane)

Hi @andy and @pkinnane, all,

It’s been a few months and the Octane/Rhino integration is still really bad, hard to use.

You can see here a red plastic material in Octane. It still shows and old material in Rhino Rendered viewport. I still cannot see thumbnails in libraries either…

The materials in the scene are also showing no thumbnails.

I can share this file privately in you need it to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Gustavo

Without knowing if you are using Rhino5 or Rhino6, and which release of Octane you are using, it is pretty hard to help you! All I can suggest is - have you tried the latest TEST releases I have been posting (almost daily).

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not explaining. I always run latest versions before reporting bugs. I’m running Rhino Version 6 (6.4.18130.19341, 05/10/18) and OctaneRenderForRhino6_3_08_1_92.rhi
These are the latest versions of both AFAIK. Correct?

Now I do see a material shader ball, but it’s a 3rd color.

EDIT: On this computer I was running OctaneRenderForRhino6_3_08_1_91.rhi (I had only updated my other ones and failed to update this one, sorry).

So in 3_08_1_92 the materials thumbnails in teh material editor do show up now:

But they are still incorrect with a 3-way mismatch among viewport, material editor thumbnail and render output.

Rhino is on 6SR5

But they are still incorrect with a 3-way mismatch among viewport, material editor thumbnail and render output.

I am not really sure what you mean by this. However if you have an Octane material that is a nodegraph (as shown in your screenshot) - there is no way that is going to be able to be converted back to a Rhino material in order for the color etc to be displayed in the Rhino Viewport.

Also - for accurate Octane material thumbnails, make sure you have the Render->Current Renderer set to OctaneRender.

Paul

by 3-way I mean

• Rhino rendered viewport = blue
  • Rhino material editor thumbnail = gray
  • Octane viewport = red.

I recreated materials and restarted Rhino and now I do have a match between Rhino material editor thumbnail and Rhino rendered viewport (both gray). But still not red like Octane’s true color.

I think if you are a plugin to a host program the minimum you can do is to always match at least the RGB output. If the Octane material (independently of the type) is rendering red in Octane it should show red in Rhino’s rendered viewport. Being any other color seems nonsense. Just me?

yes, I checked that. It’s set to Octane.

Thanks!

G

:thinking:

here’s a screenshot of Richard Yot’s Vizpack Octane library:

Only a few materials have thumbnails, the rest show that silly paint tube.

So the updates dialog says it’s up to date. but hitting ‘check now’ sends me to a website that tells me otherwise. And then it asks me to download manually instead of updating. Why?

pretty simple imo, your screenshot:
8e0b2a9d394557f9b35b79dcccfb8b0a0f464a21_1_690x274

Can you post a simple .3dm here showing this problem pls?

I think if you are a plugin to a host program the minimum you can do is to always match at least the RGB output. If the Octane material (independently of the type) is rendering red in Octane it should show red in Rhino’s rendered viewport.

With a standard Octane material this WILL happen. But if you use the Nodegraph material type there is no way for the plugin to determine the main diffuse color, so it will display in the Rhino viewport as grey.

Paul