Workflow Query | Parts & Assembly

I’ve done some searches but my terminology is most likely not in sync with the Rhino lexicon, so here I am.

I’m modelling an object made of various parts when it struck me that it would make sense that each part be drafted separately then pieced together in some kind of final assembly area (dynamically).

The tutorial area has a ton of videos on Layouts, and I’ve watched a few already, but this is more about presentation than assembly. Meaning the model is exploded rather than assembled which is the opposite of what I’m aiming at.

My guess is that a layer system could be used, but layers has some inherent issues (e.g. objects not residing on or near the absolute origin and respective axes) so if there’s an alternative workflow I’d love to learn about it.

On a similar note: Can separate parts/files be assembled with Grasshopper?

I’m new to Rhino and CAD in general so my apologies for any naiveté with my questioning. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

You can use blocks as a way to dynamically link parts. IE make a Rhino file per part and then insert those Rhino files into a new Rhino file which you’ll use to make your “assembly”. The files will be opened as blocks. Make sure those files are inserted as embedded and linked which will ensure they are dynamically linked. IE changes to one file will update in the others.

Unfortunately, Rhino doesn’t have great ways of dealing with this workflow. For one, Rhino can’t edit blocks that are linked from inside the same Rhino window, so the edits you do will be in another Rhino instance without seeing the parts that are related. Rhino also doesn’t inherently see this relationship as assemblies so it won’t be able to report a BOM or tell you in which assemblies a part is used.

This is the way I’ve been dealing with assemblies in Rhino. I’d be curious to hear how others do it.

1 Like

If you want to be able to edit an object that resides in its own file, while being able to see related parts in an “assembly”, you should take a look at Worksessions.

As for this one:

Can you explain in detail what you mean by “dynamically”?

1 Like

Meaning that when a part is updated in its respective area, that the changes will be reflected in the assembly area without having to re-import the piece.
In all honesty automation of this aspect isn’t as important as simply being able to assemble the pieces in an efficient and accurate manner, so I can forego dynamic updates without any fuss if it isn’t available. Ultimately I’ll simply maintain separate files if that’s the only alternative, but I’m hoping to learn the most efficient workflow possible.

@Louis_Leblanc :: TY Louis but what is IE?
Btw, I don’t mind having to make edits in the root work area for each part. A focused workspace is my preferred approach since I intend to build some complex objects, and I’d rather not have to constantly hide and unhide objects and layers to edit a single item.

Hello - I think using linked blocks is going to be the way to go here as a general process - (Insert command).

-Pascal

1 Like

Want to make a 3d printed sole in rhino like the image shown. Can somebody please resolve the grasshopper code for me? I am somehow not bale to get it although the basic concept here is 3d lattice. PFA of grasshopper file.Shoe lattice 3d.gh (23.5 KB)

Ouahh fourth same question … It is not necessarily to duplicate thread you can put names like @eeshanfadnis
But it seems really a do my work for me.