Wishlist - "Tube" component

in the meantime this might help, no booleans needed:

2 Likes

Or at least, it is McNeel’s responsability to close those gaps over time, not leave it to chance and third party development.

Don’t ever use Dynamo then :grinning: you will hate it.

2 Likes

I use Grasshopper don’t I? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You can use Ghpython

tube.gh (7.3 KB)

6 Likes

Thanks, I can use all sorts of stuff - that actually isn’t the request…

5 Likes

For example here is a hack which emulates a possible tube component. It incorporates logic to prevent the inner rad from being more than the inner rad (but not the same, that should also be included) plus the default to an XY plane if nothing is connected… Still doesn’t have switches for cap or not or both sides…

Tube.gh (11.2 KB)

I can certainly script all that - but the point was to ask for a single drop-it-on-the-canvas component that does all that.

As @Michael_Pryor suggested, McNeel might have made the decision to let these kind of things be sorted out by third parties or coding. Making the request is pointless then. I am sorry.

I believe McnNeel’s response would be that you can code your own component. I have no idea how to do it, but maybe you do. Or you can make a cluster and add it to your library. No coding needed.

I believe McnNeel’s response would be that you can code your own component.

I think it just depends on what time is available (and if the right person sees the request) and how much effort it takes, for instance recently there was smaller components added to RH6 like Curve Middle Point. In the WIP there was SubD and Quad Remesher components added.

tubes_2020Feb20a.gh (20.4 KB)

This uses “flip last” code (cyan group) posted two years ago by Andrew Heumann (@andheum).

OK, well at least the original wish is youtracked (thanks @wim) , otherwise it is already lost in the general hubbub…

This does most of that. I wonder how many times this particular wheel has been reinvented?

tubes_2020Feb20b.gh (17.7 KB)

It doesn’t need to be reinvented if the component exists… thanks for proving my point.

I stand in solidarity with you and @ShynnSup on this matter. A ridiculous amount of time, effort and frustration is squandered regularly, re-solving the same problems over and over, because so many things are left to custom coding and plugins.

1 Like

Yes very true Unfortunately. We need more @DavidRutten s

1 Like

Easy:

// Rolf

4 Likes

// Rolf

Rofl :smiley:

2 Likes

If only it were possible in this dimension

1 Like

Many thanks for this Seghier. This was exactly what I was looking for. It is fast and precise.

@ Helvetosaur: I find your response quite rude.
You have a single component that does the job and which is even more powerful than a linear extrusion of a tube. The only difference is, that it is not called “Tube” but its a Python component.
If I understand you correctly, you´d be perfectly happy, once McNeel copies Seghier´s code and makes an official Tube component out of it?

1 Like

In Fennec addon there are two components called Extrusion & Inner profile, works better and faster for tube

Interesting that on your first post on this forum you start out by calling someone rude… Maybe you need to carefully re-read the entire thread from start to finish - including the first post…

3 Likes