WISH WASD navigation

Ivelin,

Apologies, apologies, I must admit I had to look hard to see where I’d misspelled, probably a mixture of my brain transposing the y’s from your surname and some cultural bias.

Interesting you say this, I get my name misspelled mainly from Germans or German Native Speakers or people with QWERTZ keyboards. I wonder why that is?

My bias is that I expect to see Eastern European sounding names (which may be a bias on it’s own, if so another apology) using y’s in place of i’s in unexpected places. One of my favourite authors on the psychology of design is Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, an American professor of Hungarian descent. I prided myself in being able to spell his name and say it without hesitation, but that’s coloured my perception of Eastern European names.

I tried spelling your name to foreground the i and came up with this: image . None of my business, I know, so I’m happy if you tell me to sod off. You’ve probably tried that already. Anyway we’re off topic so am likely annoying someone somewhere.

Also perhaps due to its similarity to a common English name: Evelyn.

Yeah, could be, the reason why Germans “Frau” me all the time. :rage:
Anyways, I can start using my name written in cyrilic then Ивелин. Good luck spelling it then :smiley:

This is actually a unisex name, there are lots of men named Evelyn as well…

1 Like

Yes, in Bulgaria both are used for male names Ivelin (Ивелин) and Evelin (Евелин).

Oh, yes, lately a lot of “western” names entered so there’s also Evelin (Евелин) for females.

But not Ivelin as female, never.

Small note:
Hungary is not Eastern European. :slight_smile:

Can you sweet chatters get a private room please?
This was intended for a WASD discussion, not a names and spacemouse rant room :wink:
(Upside is that you keep on pushing the post to the top of the list though)

1 Like

I’m sorry, my bad. I just get annoyed by that.

McNeel feel free to delete that part of the thread.

UPDATE: Wow just realized when I typed @ and McNeel I actually emailed 99+ people :smiley: accidently made your thread more popular.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about WASD navigation in Rhino for a very long time and wanted to add my opinion to this thread:

I think it’s a super important feature to have in Rhino and that it would greatly benefit the workflow and make it much better, easier and smoother.

So many people are working in Rhino every day for so many hours…
Right clicking to rotate again and again as you rotate and fix the viewing angle you want,
turning the mouse wheel to zoom in and out again and again, which also shows up “jerky” as zooming with the mouse wheel has steps and is not smooth.

all that would be gone and just turn into a smooth accurate motion as you hold down the RMB and use WASD as arrows.

I think that WASD should just be an additional way to navigate in the perspective viewport as an added feature to the way things already are. I don’t think it should be “a mode” or a newer version of the walkabout mode command.

I was actually thinking about the settings it should have in my opinion and then found that the “Fly for Rhino” plug-in has exactly what I had in mind.

You hold down the RMB in any case to rotate, so if you use WASD (and E and Q to go up and down) while you’re rotating, you could also Pan and Zoom simultaneously. I think that should be available as a core feature even before any additions that would benefit visualization (such as collision etc’).

I think people will benefit from WASD for modelling purposes much more before anything else and it would be a “gamechanger” in regards to navigating in the perspective viewport, which is where you work the most.

My nephew is playing a game (counter strike, free to download and play) that after you die, you can control the camera to look at the scene and the other players play until the round relapse, so I made a little demo video of how it works:

I think this one is a must for V7.

@nathanletwory @scottd

Have you tried the Walkabout mode:

I have… it’s far from how it should work, but again in my opinion I wouldn’t make it a command (since the user will have to run it every time) but an additional option to use WASD while you rotate with the RMB.

In the first part I rotate and zoom with the mouse.
In the second part I run the walkabout command and try to do the same.

It’s very jerky while panning and doesn’t zoom to where you’re looking with the arrows and zooming is also jerky.

The sharpness of movement depends on the exposure permit in the mouse.
My example:
or

I see… I’ve tested again and it looks the same to me as in your example.
try to hold the left arrow on the keyboard while you hold the RMB and move the mouse to rotate 180 degrees around the box.
you’ll get the same jerkiness but that is the desired motion…

Plus you use zoom dynamic (ctrl+RMB+moving the mouse) instead of the desired forward and backward (up and down arrows).

So in any case it’s still very far from a smooth and accurate motion as in this game for example (same video as above):

and again I don’t think the option to use WASD should be activated especially, as you’ll have to run it again and again for every Rhino instance you’ll ever run.

When you rotate right now, using the WASD keys just wont do anything but to send the WASD letters to the command line, I suggest that while the user is holding the RMB, it would just fly the camera as in the video above. regardless of the walkabout command, which in its turn could provide more features (Collision, eye levels, speed and what not)…

But first in my opinion, this use of WASD is a must as an additional great way to navigate while you work in Rhino.

Hi Roy,

It is an interesting idea (allowing WASD [+QE/Up-Down?]) while in RMB-rotation mode…

There are a few challenges and not-so-straight-forward issues with this to consider:

1. Speed. In the game, the controller can change speed based on how far you push the “joystick”; having only keyboard is limited - even adding Shift as ‘faster’ (doesn’t work already since RMB+Shift is a different Rhino combo), has only 2 speeds. And with models with varying sizes and levels of detail how fast you move is critical for a good experience

2. Direction - do you use camera target (view center) or the cursor location as “move towards” target? Different users would have different opinions.

I wrote a plugin that implements WASD walk/fly in Rhino (as a ‘mode’ you get into, not as simple as you envision) and there are a lot of nuances and customizations to think of that may not be that obvious, if we really want to make it useful. For example the speed can be customized per-file and controlled by either mouse scroll-wheel or pressing R/F keys…I am not saying what you suggest is impossible, just probably bigger task than simply hooking the keys to camera positions change.

best,

–jarek

Hi Jarek,

Thanks, you’ve done a very nice job with your plugin :+1: I’ve seen it just recently.

1. Yes the speed could/should be able to be set, either by a number in the settings menu or by any keys as you mentioned or better yet, both.

2. I think the way it usually works is when the camera is centered and the mouse is controlling the direction so it’s like a combo. if you’ll try the “Walkabout” command and hold the L or R arrow key and move with the mouse… that’s what you should get in my opinion but without the jerkiness and the W/S keys should move you to the direction your mouse is pointing to… similar to the ordinary rotate + zoom dynamic but simultaneously and not one after another.

The other plugin “Fly for Rhino” seems to have everything I was thinking about:

but unfortunately it’s only for V5 for now so I haven’t tested it.

and yes I’m pretty sure it will require some work but I’m guessing it won’t be that bad and this feature is just a must…

1 Like