WISH virtual caliper

Not sure if serengeti is right category… but,
Wish to have a virtual caliper that will stop right when it’s edges hits an object.

Other measurment devices like protracter would also be goodto place on reference pictures.

Hello - BoundingBox will do that but you need to orient the CPlane to the measurment direction. Set Output=None to just get the measurements of the box.
Hmm- I take that back - None does not report the measurements - that can probably be fixed, but you’ll need some output to get the measurements printed to the command line.

@Toshiaki_Takano - see if this plug-in does anything at all like what you want… it’s still pretty messy but it should work, more or less, for measuring at a user defined plane (3pt only currenty, first two set the measurement direction) and optionally adding a dimension and ‘caliper’ lines… Command is Caliper

Caliper.rhp (24.5 KB)

Workflow so far:
Select the objects to measure.
Set a measurement direction with two points. If you stop there with Enter, the measurement plane will be parallel to the CPlane and through the first pick point. If you set a third point, the three will define the plane on which the caliper lies. Currently by default the distance reads out at the command line in model units and adds a dimension.
Set the command line options:

• Add a dimension in the measurement plane
  • Add caliper lines.
  • Set the measurement plane vertical to the current CPlane- this uses only two picks and the dimension if any is placed in the CPlane or a parallel plane, not the measurement plane. This is probably the most useful most of the time for measuring cross sections. @Toshiaki_Takano I made this the default behavior.

-Pascal

Wish is a bit related to manipulating a curve with history to another curve so that when the curve reaches a point which they intersect,
The manipulated curve stops moving.
Result: two intersection lines.
Use cases: curves for networksrf, edgesrf that would keep the intersection.

if two parallel lines can be made so that the stop at the point where it reaches a surface… that’d be an alternative.

Thank you for the script! I’ll try it out!