Wish: User-defined local Edge continuity

I thunk that it’s a must to implement a new analysis tool that allows to set an angle analysis (which is already implemented in “Edge continuity”) at a specific point between two surface edges, so that any modifications on the surfaces will be updated in real-time and the angle deviation handle will NEVER leave that area while the tool is active. The idea is to not lose the value and keep it visible even if other areas between the surface edges have a greater angle deviation. I will give you an example below.

Currently, if two surface edges have two areas with angle deviation of 2 degrees and 3 degrees, respectively, as soon as the surface is modified and the greater angle deviation gets smaller (for example, the 3-degree deviation becomes 1 degree), the numerical bubble disappears and goes to the next greater angle deviation (the 2-degree one). This has its limitations, because the user is no longer able to tell what’s the angle deviation where the 3-degree deviation was turned into a smaller one.

Check this video. Initially, Rhino 7 marks the greater angle deviation to be 1,8 degrees around the middle of the surface edge. However, when i start to point edit the surface, this angle deviation becomes smaller and the marking disappears from that area, leaving no clear idea of how big the deviation is there (other than a tangency graph that has no exact numbers tied to it).

If several custom angle deviation markings could be placed by the user and made to work simultaneously, that would be even better.

Or, ability for the user to set maximum number of numerical bubbles with the highest angle deviation. For example, it would be great to be able to see the 10 areas with highest angle deviations along two adjacent surface edges. by default, this could be just 1 bubble (like the current implementation), but I would like to use at least 5 or 10 if needed.

4 Likes

Hm, I think I made something like that, or maybe just thought about it…I’ll look. My thought was that you’d get to mark specific locations inside EdgeContinuity that you care about…Let me have a look. It might have to wait for that filleting tool to get off the back burner, so I’d better make a YT for it now…

RH-64065 EdgeContinuity: User defined locations

-Pascal

1 Like

Also, why the need to pick “first edge” and then “second edge” (aso) for the edge when it’s much easier to just pick surface 1 & surface 2, and let the analysis tool figure out which two edges are involved (it doesn’t take Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out).

All need for manual precision in any command should be removed, if possible. Always.

// Rolf

1 Like

Thanks, Pascal! Hopefully we can see that improvement in Rhino 7 instead of “Future” (which someone from “McNeel” recently described as “Rhino 9 or later”). :slight_smile:
I imagine that this could be done within the “Edge continuity” tool, by adding a button called “Place marking” (sort of the button “Add shapes” in “Blend surface”, as well as “Add slash” in “Sweep 2 rails”) that allows the user to set new numerical markings for the angle deviation at the desired areas.

Ability to spread several of these along the entire length of the surface edge at equal distances would be also welcomed (like what the “Divide” tool does with placing points spaced equally along a curve).

But, please, think about the possibility to allow maximum number of automatic markings that show (for example) the 10 areas (or any custom number) with biggest angle deviation. That would take less time and mouse clicks than manually. The benefit of these is that they would move automatically depending on the angle deviation.

3 Likes