Wish SubD edge selection enhancement

easy and kind of sloooooooow…

Here are some benchmarks for contrast:

1. Rhino swapping of components benchmark times: We can do 10 laps in 10 seconds. As long as you keep those fingers and eyes super sharp and focus on the task:
  1. Modo swapping of components benchmark times:
    We can do 12 laps, but simply walking the left index finger in the 1-2-3 keys, without even having to reposition the mouse for it, without having to even look:
  1. Rhino in-context swap with a cube:
    now this is a lot of round trips between where in the screen yoru components are and where the selection filter window is. I only got 1 & 1/3 of a lap. Sorry teh mouse cursor is not showing in my video capture. TShi is not slowed down. This is how slow this process is in Rhino, going as fast as I can:
    https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/0/1/019acbca62a5a9515231b32e5cc355ab8f99ca26.mp4

04A. Modo in-context swap with a cube (default to re-select):
here’s an Easter Egg from Modo, when you change component types the last selection you had from that component type is still maintained, you have no idea how amazingly useful that is. Especially consider that most likely your new selection on the same component type will be based on/related/same as your prior selection. here we made 5 & 2/3 of a lap

04B. Modo in-context swap with a cube (looking for new stuff to select):
Even having to force myself to select something other that previous selection in each component type I easy make 4 laps here:

in summary:
Not having dedicated single stroke hot-keys for component mode, and sometimes combinit it to the fact that Rhino does not store previous selections of that component type Rhino is about 67% to 76% slower than Modo in selecting SubD components. And this is just talking about single item selection, not even complex selections such as propagation/in-between/conversion of types and all that stuff.

I always described Tsplis as modeling in SubD with Boxing-gloves. This is why I much rather left Rhino and went to Modo to do fast SubD modeling, even when I did most of my work in Rhino and I owned Tsplines.

Please don’t take this feedback as: “Gustavo is asking us to make Rhino as Modo”. You can probably get similar comparative ‘lapping results’ if you benchmark the selection speed of Rhino with pretty much any SubD solution out there that has been designed for speed.

The vast majority of improvement ahead here are somehow simple and probably a low hanging fruit: add hotkeys for selection filters. Single key shortcuts, not 4-finger stuff.

Thx!

G