Wish: SSR in Rhino 8 (Screen space reflection)

One of the things I visually wish for in Rhino’s realtime pipeline is screen space reflection (And true raytracing when the time is ripe of course).
Having the impression of reflections that TwinMotion (and games) provide is a huge step forward for all glossy materials, so is this something you could look into @stevebaer ?

I found this article that has some interesting reflections on the topic:

Having poor quality while navigating and then adding better quality when nothing moves would be great too, like you do with AO.

1 Like

Every time I visit Sketchfab I’m awed by how well and easy you can fine-tune the display there. They also have a very nice collection of postprocessing settings.

SSR for sure could bring some life into Rendered Mode. In this example better quality SSR turns on when we stop moving the camera. It can be annoying when rotating too much but helps to sell shiny materials.

Canon AT-1 Retro Camera - Download Free 3D model by AleixoAlonso (@AleixoAlonso) [9de6686] - Sketchfab

Always good to add it to the pile of things to consider. We have our hands full at the moment on the display front with building out a metal based display pipeline for v8, but once that is done we can start thinking about more topics like this.

1 Like

So, in about 2 months then? :slightly_smiling_face:

sure! We might want to consider some of those other pesky little things that people seem to want with display like improved blocks, technical display, clipping plane fills…

4 Likes

@dale can you please check how much job it is to integrate screen space reflections in Rhino?
We need as good material impressions as possible and it’s a shame that Sketchfab has this integrated in a web platform while we don’t :wink:

You can see the model live in the webbrowser even on your smartphone here:

I agree I would love to have some good render quality in the OpenGL renderer. Most of the things that make things look realistic are available and easily render in OpenGL/WebGL.

I was just looking today at this: GitHub - 0beqz/realism-effects: SSGI, Motion Blur, TRAA - Effects to enhance your three.js scene's realism

SSR, HBAO and even SSGI should all be possible to integrate.

I think things like that would be 100 times more useful than those Flair render styles in Rhino 8.

2 Likes

Hi @Holo,

I’ve logged the request so we can consider this post Rhino 8.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-74944

– Dale

Thanks, can you add distance fog to that list too? It makes a huge difference for architecture and landscapes to communicate size and draw attention to the foreground.

Here is a short video of a guy implementing the directx 9 exponential squared fog in OpenGL. If only I knew how to do it :slight_smile:

2 Likes