Wish: Pick Faces inside/outside/constrained by an edge loop?...or can you already?

Hi, Wondering if there is a feature to select all faces inside, outside, or constrained by edge loops? Like a lasso type feature using edge loops so faces don’y have to be selected individually. I’ve tried the brush command and found it wanting.

Thanks, Matt

shift+ctrl click one face, then double click a face next to that one in the direction you want to pick. There are also painting selections. If you don;t have them, run toolbarreset and restart rhino to get the latest tool bars .

Thanks for the reply! I did know about the shift+ ctrl commands but was looking for a quicker and more precise work flow to pick a large group of faces. When you say painting selections do you mean the brush command (paint brush icon)? I have tried that and can’t quite get it to work.

you can also use selection filters set to face, then drag select the largest set of faces, then ctrl+drag to deselect the ones you don’t want.

paint selection needs a target, edges, faces, or verts… use selection filters to specify what you want to select.

1 Like

Ok, thanks…I’ll try that! Btw enjoyed the Paper Doll tutorial…very helpful!

nice! paperdoll all the things! make sure and check out Brian James videos and Phil cook has some good ones too!

T-Splines had good selection tools, like various Grow… tools and especially FillBetween was handy.

I selected 4 faces first and the FillBetween to get this square selection

1 Like
1 Like

click one face, then shift click one farther away, then shift double click a face adjacent to either and the selection fills in automagically-

2 Likes

And then how do you select the ring next to your selection?

1 Like

Painting selections.

1 Like

more complicated looking that it actually is in practice-

That does work but compared to T-Splines it’s complicated, especially when the geometry is less directional

What geometry, for example to T-Splines?

That does actually sort of work! Thanks @theoutside

You can get everything done with painting selections, it’s just not efficient.

Let’s say on a torus… FillBetween and GrowSelection is very quick

here’s a little more info-

2 Likes

a torus…
Painting selections more flexible tool.

2 Likes