Wish: Option Vertical in Scale2D for Perspective

take a picture frame place it vertical and switch to perspective. now use Scale2D either along X or Y axis depending on how your picture is layed out. what happens it stretches it 1d along this side. even worse is scaling along Z.

to Scale2D i have to switch to the corresponding orthogonal view and switch back to perspective when done. scaling the object when it lays flat on Cplan works of course.

i understand that it is not be possible for Rhino to distinguish what 2d here is, going down the route of scaling 3d objects along the cplane horizontals. still for the sake of a decent workflow there should be a way to scale 2d along verticals in perspective. that is an ancient pane and something which i run into more than just frequently…

can you post an example with steps to reproduce the issue?

Scale 2d that box in perspective along the orange direction.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-09 um 11.39.48

what it does it stretches it along the other directions instead of scaling it 2d. Scale 3d does not work obviously so i have to switch to front view to use scale 2d.

what i get

what i aim for

file

Scale 2d Perspective.3dm (2.9 MB)

Scale 2D is a 2D command which works relative to the active CPlane like many other commands - Rotate, Array, Align etc. So currently you either need to change the CPlane or use scale NU (somewhat unwieldy). Perhaps OneView might help here to automatically set the CPlane in Perspective.

Another way is to use the Gumball plane indicator with Shift held down, however, it does not allow you to set the scale origin without moving the Gumball origin.

Note that when wanting to scale 2D with one of the axes “vertical”, there are actually two possibilities with a 3D object - scale in XZ or scale in YZ.

1 Like

shift + click on the cplane waffle and drag-

2dscale

relocate the gumball to wherever you want to scale from.

2dscale2

thanks guys, but that is the reason why i made this a wish, that one can work without having to knot fiddly extra ties. no offence, and shift clicking the gumball plane does not allow me to scale it precisely…without trying to calculate what is missing and having to enter the dimension prefix. how would i make a board which i have in plan 7355 mm deep x wide and want to change to 5985 mm with the same relation? ehm hmm wait let me calculate that quickly in my head, ah yeah no… i rather switch to an orthogonal view and use scale2d, faster and precise.

again no offence. but a scale option for perspective would be helpful, that would gap out that extra step of having to switch views for scaling matters…

If you shift click the plane (waffle) you can directly enter a fraction like 5985/7355.

i am not sure what that should bring. how will that help me getting 5985 mm? at least on mac that does not seem to work just devides the number.

also maybe a better example since this one was very generic, when i dont know how far i have to scale it because i am scaling towards a boundary for instance, from a fixed position. that does not work at all with gumball as far as i see that.

Dunno, in Windows Rhino you can do that sort of math on the command line, it’s especially useful to calculate a scale factor if you know the existing dimension and the target dimension, just enter td/ed. This also works in the Gumball numeric entry fields.

i can calculate stuff within commands, but calculating what i need before i scale is not what i should be doing by all means.

I kinda thought that this is what we said to do with entering fractions for scale factors. Within the Scale command or directly in the Gumball scale box.

https://www.screencast.com/t/GtM3jm3m

_scale1d and _scale2d
(not tested for _scaleNU and _scale)
allow entering a length after the reference-point.

so this will allow the follow workflow:

in this example i want to scale a board 300x200x20 to 310x206.666…x20
no math / calculation needed:
the colored triade shows the world coordinates…
_cplane 3Points (or Surface)
_scale2d
pick (1) as center
(option to enter calculated factor… but don t do it for this workflow)
pick (2) as reference
enter 310 as target length
click to finish somewhere near the guide / smarttrack-like line

previous cplane…

As two points to define the c-plane and the points that used for the scaling are the same, of course this can be easily scripted to have less mouse-clicks…

kind regards, tom

I’m with @encephalon on this: I frequently use the the various scale commands (and other transformation commands) snapping to geometry to avoid fiddling with numbers.