WISH: Native RiR Solution for rotatnig cropped views

Hi,
I will describe you pretty common architectural task:
Prepare sheets with flats where all views are oriented in a way that entrance to flats are at the bottom of the page.

Usualy, in the same building you will have multiple flat entrances that each will face different direction.

Rotating cropped views in Revit is pretty odd. I know you recently add components to controll Crop Region Curves. If I need to rotate View I need to natively rotate its Crop Region Curves (using Revit rotate). Right now, if you have perfect crop boundary for the angled view, if you rotate the Crop Region you need to make the boundary once again.

There is a need for the component that would allow rotating crop region - preferably all in one step, so setting new boundary after rotation would not be needed.

I’m familiar with the ‘odd’ workflow.

It gets even more peculiar when trying to access via the Revit API, the crop box element returns the floorplan and requires a workaround.

The current components are get/set curves. I’ll add a feature request for a component the implements the workaround.

Hi @barden00,

Does something like this work for you?

RIR-RotateCropRegion.gh (33.7 KB)

1 Like

As you can see from the Definition above, the recent View Crop Region will rotate the view. Let us know if you have any questions.

Hi,

It looks like it’s only rotating the Crop Region Curves instead of rotating the underlying view - preferably I would like to do both of actions at the same time.

1. Angle 172

2. Angle 190 - You can see that only Crop Region Curves rotated, but the Walls are facing the same direction - view is not being rotated. - This can be a desired outcome in some scenarios.

3. Contrary, this Revit rotate tool, will only rotate the View but without rotating Crop Region curves.

My goal is to rotate crop region curves and underlying view simlutaneously.

BTW. Is there a way to obtain View rotation value for a given, previously rotated View? Inspect Element doesne’t give me any data.

I see, Kike created the view oriented (via Frame) and then adjusted the crop view.

This post still applies then. WISH: Native RiR Solution for rotatnig cropped views - #2 by Japhy

Here’s a mix of scripted (the workaround mentioned in the building coder link) and native components to Rotate and Crop the View.

Getting the Rotation of a View isn’t straight forward either. I’ll need to dig into that a bit to figure out the most reliable way.

Re_RotateCropBox.gh (16.3 KB)

Re_RotateView

Rotation of the View

Re_RotateCropBoxV2.gh (17.0 KB)

1 Like

Hi! Because I was using non-rectangular Crop Region at first I didn’t get it, but now I know how it works. Thank you very much!

I was trying to use these scripts, but i only get that “1. A managed exception was thrown by Revit or by one of its external applications.” Do you know what could be causing it and how could i work around that?

Hi RHPlus_biuro,

No issues here with V2.gh, can you provide about info & any additional info that you think helpful, thanks.

Hi Japhy.,
I got it working correctly except when i rotate the view rotates in a way which moves it out of the crop box.
Here is how it looks.

I can’t get it to work with non-rectangular cropped views. It’s seems a very bizzare process, my curve crop regions not only are translated into rectangles but they do not align with the underneath geometry.
Is there a chance for some example where you use non-rectangular curves as a cropp regions?

Hi Ajota,

If i recall its a bit convoluted (model space xy, layoutspace xy rotation coordination). I’ll dig into this more over the weekend most likely.

The rectangle crop region is coming from this conversion to rectangle.