Wish: MergeAllCoplanarFaces to better preserve isocurve direction

When using the command on this solid (to tidy up the surfaces generated by ExtrudeSrfTapered)

the resulting surfaces have isocurves canted at an unhelpful angle

This may be dependent on the order of selection of the faces. If you use the MergeCoplanarface command instead, and select left to right twice along one side you get the same effect; but if you select the larger face first each time, you end up with well formed isocurves.

It would be helpful if the command were to take account of the original isocurve orientation of the largest component surface in any plane.

Regards
Jeremy

2 Likes

does shrinktrimmedsrf help in this situation?

I made a tool for now that can help, after the fact, in these cases.

PlanarFaceDirection.rhp (17 KB)

-Pascal

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to.

Thanks Pascal, I’m going to play around with that in some other contexts where I think it could prove useful, but in this particular example I’m not sure it would be any quicker than using series of MergeCoplanarFace commands.

1 Like

Hi Jeremy - it should be faster than that… and more certain, I would think, but maybe I am missing the goal: Let merging all do its thing then reset the resulting face to any direction you like.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

I’ve tried it with an angled solid

and find that getting the direction right is difficult unless I use the two points option (on the edge mids). If that could be a top level option instead of at the end of a command chain then things would definitely be quicker… (please!)

That would be good because in this instance the pairs of MergeCoplanarFace operations are not resulting in perfectly aligned isocurves like they did before.

Regards
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy - I am happy to take a look but I cannot, at the moment, get my example of the case you show to merge into anything wonky no matter how I orient it. But the Line option and seleecting an edge ought to get things trued up if they are not…?

-Pascal

Yeah, I missed the obvious applicability of the line option here. Thanks for the pointer…