Wish: merge same named layers

Hi,

I try to copy some layers from folder A to folder B. In folder B this layer names exist and so Rhino ignored it. Better would be, if a popup window would say “layer names exist, do you like to merge the layers?”.

I hope it’s possible to implement.

-Micha

ScreenShot9259

From your question, I don’t understand if you want to merge same named layers or not -

Here is one setting that might help:

Or do you want for it to ask every time?

–Mitch

Often I get parts from my clients and I build the assembly. In this case it was layer directory “cabin front” and “cabin rear”. Both layer directories contain the same layer structure. So, in this case the automatic merge doesn’t help. (But thank you for the hint. My screenshot was a little bit reduced.)

Ah, OK, so you want to be able to merge two different-named parent layers that have the same sublayer name structure? Is that it? That might be scriptable as a command to run after the import.

–Mitch

Hi Micha - thanks,

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-44379

-Pascal

1 Like

@Helvetosaur Right, that is it. Could be helpful tool.

@pascal Thank you to add it to the list. It could be a nice addition to the functionality of the layer manager.

Hi @pascal & @Helvetosaur,
I think this hasn’t been addressed in a while but it is a problem that I come across quite often.

In my case this occurs when I organise layers into Parent layers “2D” and “3D” and then import new objects into the file (with existing layer names), that I want to place under the Parent layers.

The setting " imported file layers > use existing layers with matching name " omits search inside parent layers.
Since im working with many layers (>50) It’s time consuming to do it manually every time.
Is there any command or script that can automate this?

As far as the request goes [RH-44379] , it would be ideal if it could ask which of the two layers to keep.

Thank you!
John

After some extra digging I found your script that does the job sufficiently!

If somebody uses the script: you have to put all new layers on a parent layer before merging them to the old ones, and it doesn’t go deeper than one sublayer.

MergeMatchingLayers.py (3.6 KB)

Thanks again
John