Wish: "Match surface" to preserve the flow of control points

A short video showing the idea behind preserving the UV structure of the control polygon and adjusting only the normal position of the 2nd and 3rd rows of control points.

I would love for this ability to preserve the control point flow to be added in “Match surface” on Rhino 7. :slight_smile: It should try to match the surface only along the normal direction of its control points while preserving their flow (angles between the control polygon lines).

1 Like

Your example is very good and perfectly shows the benefits of preserving the control point flow of the matched surface. Without such ability, the 3rd row of control points of the matched surface get heavily distorted despite using the “Preserve isocurve direction” option.

plus 1 for this options it is true that the third row of control points must be perpendicular to the adjacent edge to achieve perfect g2 continuity …
but in some this completely spoils the good homogeneous distribution of points.
this option will have a checkbox . for the needs

1 Like

I vote for it.

Many models I had to work on for students in jewellery are driving to complex matching scenarios.

As pointed by @Rhino_Bulgaria such a scenario is not limited to cars

To my humble opinion, there should be no debate regarding the need to improve the SrfMatching command in Rhino…

Regards
Rodolfo Santos

2 Likes

@Rhino_Bulgaria

Everything is visually demonstrated.

Thanks for that.

Regards
Rodolfo Santos

1 Like

Any news regarding the development of this crucial functionality? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wish 2: Add two individual options for “Match target isocurve direction” (either U or V) to avoid weird bugs like this:

Wish 3: Add ability to control the matched end’s shape (when “Tangency” or “Curvature” options are set) in a similar fashion like the “Adjust end bulge” tool, but while the “Match surface” command is still in preview.

Wish 4: Add “Explicit control”, i.e. something like “Rebuild” inside the “Match surface” tool that lets the user set a custom structure of the surface (number of control points and degree). “Explicit control” must be also included in the main surfacing tools such like “Blend surface”, “Sweep 1 rail”, “Sweep 2 rails”, “Loft”, “Edge surface” and “Network surface”.
Check this video at the 17:15 minute to see the huge advantage that option brings for the surface quality:

2 Likes

That would be lovely to have it implemented,
It would let increase so much the speed of modeling and encourage us (me and my workmate) to switch to Rhino more frequently, since we mainly use it for subd purposes and exchanging file formats.
What I would like the most, is the Explicit control, Edge analysis and Adjust end bulge inside the Match Surface command. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts. The main surfacing tools in Rhino must be automated to make the workflow much more efficient than now. The code of those functions is there, they just need to be combined into the major tools.

2 Likes