Wish Item - Surface Plane Picture relative path external reference

When I create a Surface Plane Picture, the external reference to the bitmap is set to an absolute path.
I tried changing it to a relative path and it is always changes back to absolute.
When I send a 3dm file to someone with picture bitmap files, the recipient usually doesn’t know how to fix the external reference. And they should not have to.
(I know how to fix it, but training others long distance can be difficult.)
I would like to be able to set an option to always use relative paths for all external references.
This would most likely be a file settings thing.
I thought version 5 had this capability. If I remember correctly.

Hello - if you use the Picture command in Rhino and when you save the file, save with textures,

the person receiving the file should automatically see the correct picture - (V6 +) Is that not the case?

-Pascal

1 Like

I have never noticed that setting before in the save dialog. I am used to managing textures in the property tab. I guess this is the new preferred method. I notice that v7 WIP does not show the full path of a texture in the Materials Tab as well. I’ll try this and see how it works. Thank you.
Edit: I tested this and works pretty good for what I need now. But I still think any references in Rhino should be relative paths. When jobs are checked in and out using something like SourceSafe or Subversion, when others check the job out, their local working folder may not be the same as mine. And should not have to be. I know Microsoft traditionally uses absolute paths in the registry, for example, relative paths quite often are better. Another option would be to use a default environment variable that Rhino users can set that will always be used by Rhino. Such as: %RhinoExternalFiles%/myworkingdir/job.

And that brings up another suggestion which should probably be on another thread.
Rhino currently has no concept of working directories. It would be very helpful if I could add an internal variable that would act as an environment variable to the rhino 3dm file. Then whenever I am working with that rhino file, when I use a command that needs to access a file, the file dialog would open in the working directory that I set instead of somewhere on another location, nowhere near where I need to be. This would speed up my work in Rhino immensely.

Hello - not sure if this will help, but just in case - two scripts, one sets a new path as the file default for the current file (saved as DocumentUserText) , and the other retrieves the default from the file and sets Rhino’s working folder to that, and also puts the path on the clipboard.

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

NewCustomWorkingFolder.py (799 Bytes)
SetCustomWorkingFolder.py (1.2 KB)

-Pascal