Wish: Improvements of the "Select by object name" command

1. It would help a lot to include a live search box in the “Select Name” window, especially for scenes with hundreds or thousands of named objects.

1. I like that the “Properties” window remembers its custom size and position even after closing and re-opening Rhino. However, the “Select Name” window won’t remember its modified size during the current session. Instead, it always resets to the small default window size upon activating the “Select by object name” command. The default size is way too limited as it shows only 18 lines of object names and quite often the modeler is forced to expand it manually all over again. At 1920x1080 screen resolution that windows could show about 40 lines without overlapping the default docked toolbars behind.

2. An option for the object names to appear in a true consecutive number order would be also nice. For example, the current implementation takes into account only the initial numbers, hence it arranges object name “Rhino_19” before “Rhino_2”, which is a bit odd to deal with when you have multiple objects named with consecutive numbers. The logic is that a true consecutive order would always prioritize and place “Rhino_2” before “Rhino_19”.

2 Likes

Hello - got that, thanks.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-54775
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-54774
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-54773

-Pascal

2 Likes

Hi Pascal, glad to see that all 3 of these proposed enhancements are being considered for Rhino 7. Thanks!

Hi Pascal, sorry for disturbing you again about this topic after 2 years, but I wondered if there is any progress with regards to the remembering of the size and position of the “Select by object name” pop-up window, as well as adding a search box on the top to make finding parts easier? :slight_smile: I often struggle with being forced to extend vertically that small window every single time when I need it (which happens like 50-100 times per day :rofl:) and to navigate through the very long list of names to find the one(s) I need to select.
On my 4K screen that pop-window always appears at least half the vertical size of what it could have been and using the slider on the right side while the window is short adds to the difficulty to select the desired object. At half the size the slider basically moves the parts list twice as fast.

Just a reminder that this much needed feature is still not implemented after so many years of requests. Selecting objects by name across a huge number of named objects is a real pain in Rhino currently. While selecting by typing the first character is nice, the lack of a proper search bar inside the “Select name” window does not let the user select objects consisting a word or number other than the first one. For example, it’s impossible to use the '_SelName command to locate all objects whose name consists some characters such like “60 mm” somewhere in the name (like “Screw M12x60 mm” etc).
Or, just like the sample image in the OP, typing “27” should select any objects consisting the same number, such like “D-3-27”, “Screw 270 mm”, “Plate 4273F” etc.

@Rhino_Bulgaria I hope to get to these YT issues before much longer. A total rewrite of this dialog is in order but it shouldn’t take me long.

1 Like

Thank you! Will it be available for Rhino 7? :slight_smile:
I usually work with thousands of named objects in the scene. Since the '_SelName command will take into account only the first character and lack a search bar, it’s quite slow to select the ones I want based on their name.

Rhino 7 is now in bug fix mode only, so any new functionality will end up in v8.

It’s sad that those old requests that were officially documented (as seen in the links posted above by @Pascal 3 years ago) were ignored for the past 3 years :innocent: and will never be implemented in Rhino 7.
Losing the custom vertical size of the “Select name” window is also a very irritating bug.

1 Like

I would imagine that the users with hundreds of objects (layers, materials, etc) definitely think this is a bug. Perhaps if you keep retrofitting to 7 in mind as you develop it, perhaps the powers that be would agree if you are successful.

I’m too hoping to see improvements in that window. Preferably in V7 of course, because I don’t think V8 is just right around the corner. Unfortunately, I can’t use the WIP version with Rhino Inside Revit.

1 Like