Wish: Improve the Move command

Nope, you can preselect as many objects as you want. --Mitch

2 Likes

i don’t think ‘assume’ would be the right word because i’ll sometimes move a point with start/end locations not being the point.

that said, i do think it’s probably a lot more common to move a point from it’s own location.

(just chitchat
 not meant as a pro/con towards your request/idea)

I frequently use the origin, shortcut “O”, as the starting point for a move. The second "point"coordinates are the distance increments I want to move the object.

O (for origin) as the first point and 2,0,-5 causes the object to move 2 units in the x direction, 0 units in the y direction, and -5 units in the z direction. This is the the same move as snapping to a point on the object as the first point and R2,0,-5 as the second point. The same move can be done using the Gumball by clicking on the x move arrow and typing 2, and then clicking on the z move arrow and typing -5.

Yup, I do that sometimes too. But that is very well supported by the std Move command. :slight_smile:

And yes again, the word “assume” wasn’t the best choice of word. Most often isn’t exactly the same thing as always.

Same here. But then there are all the other cases as well.

Anyway, the behavior which Helvetosaur pointed me too looks interesting as well. I will try it out for a period of time to see how well it covers the idea I had with SMove. I could tell directly that it’s useful, I know that much.

// Rolf

the gist of your wish could also apply to the Paste command
 (as in copy/paste)
sometimes you want to paste in place (current behavior) but other times, you want to paste to the cursor. (instead of Paste then Move)

for consistency down the road, the same ‘rules’ should work with the SMove as would work with PasteToCursor in regards to where the cursor is initially locked on to the object.

Yes, that would be great. But I guess that in most cases the copied selection would have an unknown(?) start point to be moved to the cursor. But the Copy-SMove command could start just like the SMove command, then selecting the target point would be no problem.

One could also think of just tapping CTRL while in SMove, in order to drop a copy of what’s in the Clipboard.

There may be more and better ideas.

// Rolf

just by the way

if you tap Alt key while dragging as Mitch suggested, a copy will be moved instead of the original
 so in that sense, there’s already a copy&move tool in rhino.

also, cmmd/CTRL key will force vertical dragging (i often wish for that functionality across all commands :wink: )

Thank you for this hint, this is exactly why I shouldn’t suppose no one else has already thought of things before I did
 :slight_smile:
Knowing this I will have yet another aspect of it to try out when examining that approach to see what it covers.

And yes, it would really be a great thing having this kind of stuff consistently implemented in every command where it’d make sense. Subject for a “x.5 version” of whatever Rhino version around. Really.

// Rolf

What about a grab command.
Does that exist or was it mentioned already? This would function like the Blender grab “G” key. It reads the selected object(s) origin and locks the objects to the mouse, objects can be constrained by hitting, X,Y, Z depending on the axis you want to constrain, if you want to constrain. They also allow for a shift+“axis” key command to allow all directions but that axis. Typing a numeric input then moves the object that much if a precise movement is needed.

Works the same for scale and rotate and is fast once you are use to using it.

1 Like

^

a lot of that is already in rhino and the functionality applies to all/most commands

Shift key will put the cursor on the nearest ortho (if you have ortho set to 90Âș, it will lock to X or Y axis
 or change the angle to lock to, say 45Âș, then you’ll get X&Y plus the axis in between those two)

Tab key will lock the cursor to the axis it’s currently on. (either via the shift key method -or- inferencing etc.)

you can type the distance in conjunction with these (and most other things in Rhino).

idk, it’s not exactly the same due to UI differences but the ability is in there
 pretty sure shift and tab are two of my most used keys during modeling.

Thanks Jeff!

I have been trying to find or get a “grab” key/function to work. Do you know if there is a command or plugin out there for this?

It basically allows for the release of the left-mouse button and grabs hold of object(s) while moving them.

Hi Edward, so you would like it to behave like dragging in that you do not need to specify a ‘Move from’ point, but it would allow mouse-up while actually moving, and require a mouse-down to place the objects
 is that correct? What does that get you?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

This is just a way I am used to working in another program and really not
critical. I was just curious if there was a command like this in Rhino I
didn’t know about.

I would use it when moving objects around and assign a key to the command,
for example “g”. If I have 3 objects selected to move, that are already
selected by clicking, I can hit the g key and they are then locked to the
cursor - after moving to the new location, hit g again and it releases them
from the cursor but are still selected.

Hi Edward - ‘locked to the cursor’ how? I’m just curious, now - do the group move over so their collective bounding box center is on the cursor, or?

I guess I see - they maintain their relationship to the cursor’s 3d location, is that it? Might be handy
 I don’t know if it might be possible to fake it in a script or something, just to see how it feels.

-Pascal

Snap dragging = mind blown !!

@edward_jones, are you after tweak-grabbing from Blender?

Hi Pascal and Nathan,

@Pascal - Yes I think it is handy, once use to having/using it.

@Nathan - yes!

That indeed is a thing I miss, too.

Have you tried _SoftMove, _SoftEditCrv, _SoftEditSrf ? It is not the same as in blender but still handy.

c.

These are like proportional editing in Blender. What @edward_jones is looking for is a tweak grabbing which goes as follows: