Wish: Copy/Move to a target CPlane

Hi Rodolfo - something like this maybe?

! _CPLane 3Point Pause Pause Pause RemapCplane Pause CPlane Top Cplane Undo

! _CPLane 3Point Pause Pause Pause RemapCplane Pause CPlane "My named CPlane" Cplane Undo

-Pascal

Thank you for your reply

You are probably right, but when possible, I better stick to native Rhino features.

Regards
R.Santos

is it always the same block ?
if yes include some simple, planar Polyline to define the cplane.

but also check:
a good alternative to remapcplane is Orient3Pt.
not tested:
_orient3Pt _pause _pause _pause w0, wr1,0,0 wr0,1,0

Thank you very much for your script, Pascal, I was out of this forum for a while but I am back now.

Well, the From is not my big problem here ( I use the Gumball option btw )
! _CPLane 3Point Pause Pause Pause RemapCplane Pause CPlane Top Cplane Undo
This is working well here

The automation for the selection of the target NamedCPlane is what I don’t get here.
you suggest : … RemapCplane Pause CPlane “My named CPlane” Cplane Undo

This part of the script is WORKING after a semantic correction ( my bad )

**Would it be possible to make this part more flexible :CPlane “My named CPlane” **
My Named CPlanes listed in the Command Line for example to swith from one to another…

Here’s a visual description of the steps I want to automate.

In fact I was hoping to solve this including _NamedCPlane _Select in the script ( and pick in the viewport ), but that seems not possible, right?

Regards
R.Santos

No, various blocks.
The From CPlane is not really a problem, it is the way to call the target one that is not easy to nest in a Macro ( if possible… )

Thank you for the workaround, but for the indented purpose, I need to deal with NamedCPlanes.

Regards,
R.Santos

instead of picking the viewport, just pick the named cplane (?) in the panel:

this is how i use remap cplane a lot: use the namedCplane Palette to input the cplanes…
not sure if the but is solved - a duplicate of world top is (was?) needed.

So, the hangup here is that you need to know the exact name of the plane and type it correctly, correct?
Does Tom’s suggestion of using the named CPLanes list work for you? It does work but seems a little fiddly sometimes - but that seems like the answer.

-Pascal

That does not work in the Windows 10 version of Rhino 7 consistently. Sometimes it does, but most times it does nothing; just switches to the other CPlane. It is extremely unreliable. Recently I had to do that sort of repositioning of models from one CPlane to another. Rhino 7 did that in the first two times, then every next try it refused to do so.
This is why, I created this topic with a request to make this tool work properly and in a more convenient way.

Hi @Rhino_Bulgaria @pascal
I use the remap cplane command but I have long ago wished and asked for this tool…

Here is the link for that request made in 2016, called transform space for Rhino
Wish Transform space - Serengeti (Rhino WIP) - McNeel Forum

RM

Yeah, history-enabled “remap” is something that I requested originally in this topic, because I consider it a very important tool for automotive design and engineering. *Especially if Rhino could also offer some basic IK capabilities to assemble a multi-link car suspension and dual hinges.
I can see that some architects also could benefit from it, mostly on moving parts such like rotating or sliding doors and windows.

P.S. A quick example for such “IK plus remap” capabilities here. Imagine that the right side wheel is the original, whereas the left side one is the remapped copy with enabled history. Any change to the numerical values on the bottom left corner below the diagram will affect the original on the right side AND the copy on the left side which is in a random position somewhere in the space.

1 Like

Yes Pascal, the solution suggested by Tom would help a lot .

The problem is that I normally works with Rhino for Mac and would be happy to opt for that strategy, but recently, I’ve been forced to go back to Windows ( third party software constraint ) and indeed, as Bobi pointed, it’s not a reliable approach.

In fact in my case, it simply does not work the way it’s shown in the video, this is very frustrating.

At this stage I don’t get how to achieve the wanted behaviour when working with Named CPlanes.

Regards
R.Santos

1 Like

I confirm this observation.
Regard
R.Santos

1 Like

Thank you very much for the time spent on creating a video.

This is one nice approach I would love to take, unfortunately, it does not work with Rhino 7 for WIN 10 here.
As a Mac user, I am facing a strong frustration.

Regards
R.Santos

1 Like

1+

Regards
R.Santos

2 Likes

@RodolfoSantos

uuh - that s a pity - it used to work in older Rhino-Windows-Versions.
I used it intensively for a very large (in terms of kilometers) urban engineering tunnel project.
so it is definitive a bug. it should work. it used to work.
so i agree with @Rhino_Bulgaria

but please notice:
there was always the issue, that the standard cplanes did not work. - maybe because auf the strange name including Asterix *World Tom*, to use Top/Front/Right i always did a duplicate with simple names (no space, no *, see in the video). …of course you can include them in the template.

@pascal
please update / correct the youtrack. currently it says:

RemapCPlane: Tuned up command prompt
In RemapCplane the prompt to click in a view should be
“Click in a viewport with the target CPlane”
(Users click in the named CPlane list)

this is wrong - users WANT (and should be able) to click in the list of named c-planes - which makes completely sense as this discussion shows - thanks.

kind regards - tom

1 Like

I understand that, but until that works properly, the prompt is misleading.

-Pascal

Noted, Pascal.
Thank you for being so pragmatic, there’s a time for everything…

Regards
R.Santos

@Rhino_Bulgaria
I agree this is an important feature that deserves more attention.

Let’s continue to remind them periodically.

> " O que tem de ser tem muita força "

Regards
R.Santos

1 Like

И на български език ще повторя, че този интрумент е изключително важен и се надявам да работи както трябва възможно по-скоро! :slight_smile:

… You win.