Wish: Copy/Move to a target CPlane

I there a way to be able to either copy or move selected object(s) from the active CPlane to another saved Cplane, or from a reference planar surface to a target planar surface, while keeping the orientation of the copied object(s) relative to the coordinates of both CPlanes or planar surfaces? Here is a picture that shows how I imagine the way it could work:

Currently, that operation requires to use the ! _Orient3Pt couple of times (6 mouse clicks total), along with changing two CPlanes (adding a few more clicks); or snapping from 3 reference points to 3 target points (6 mouse clicks), which usually requires several extra mouse clicks to navigate the camera in case that the reference and target positions are located too far away or are located in a too populated area with plenty of other parts that make the snapping difficult to use and eventually force the use of Isolate on top of all mouse clicks so far. This all could be simplified by using a dedicated command with an automated process of orienting the copied object based on the XYZ coordinates of both CPlanes or the UV coordinates of the planar surfaces. This way, multiple objects could be easily copied (or moved) to another position with a couple of mouse clicks.

Note: Copying to another saved CPlane should keep the current CPlane active. The target CPlane is only used to orient the copied object to its coordinates.

An alternative to this command could be a command called “Paste to CPlane”. Example. If an object is being copied in the clipboard, then another CPlane is being set as current, the “Paste to CPlane” command should place the copied object relative to the current CPlane’s orientation instead of the World coordinates.
Another way to do that is by running the “Paste to CPlane” command, then the Command line will show an option called “Saved CPlane” so that upon clicking it the “Named CPlanes” pop-up window will appear to pick a target CPlane WITHOUT switching to it. As already mentioned above, the target CPlane is only used to set the orientation of the copied object, but the active CPlane should remain unchanged to avoid any accidental mistakes with the modeling process afterwards.

It would be even better if History could be implemented so that any subsequent change of orientation of the target CPlane or target planar surface will also affect the orientation of the copied object.

Cheers,

Bobi

I believe that RemapCPlane command solved this problem

I tried that, but it’s extremely user-unfriendly to use. For example, the Command line prompt “Name of CPlane to map to” asks me to write the exact name of the target saved CPlane, which is both, slow and hard to remember.
Also, when I try to write the CPlane’s name that consists a space between words or the number, the “RemapCPlane” command cancels after pressing the Space key. For example, I have a CPlane named “Door hinge base”, however, once I write “Door” in the Command line and then press the space key, I’m unable to write the second word “hinge”. Instead, it returns the following error message: “Door does not exist.”.

If I run the “RemapCPlane” command and click on the “CPlane” option in the Command line, nothing happens. I can’t evoke the “Named CPlanes” pop-up window upon clicking there. Something is wrong. It forces me to open the “Named Cplanes” window preliminary, then select the object and then run the “RemapCPlane” command. :slight_smile:
It would be much, much better if the “CPlane” option actually showed the “Named CPlanes” window and/or the tiny planes that appear with the _-NamedCPlane _Visible _Visible _Toggle _Enter _Enter command.

“RemapCPlane” only works nicely in cases where the intent is to orient an object from one view to another view, but it’s difficult to use directly in the Perspective viewport with saved CPlanes. It also requires the user to minimize the window, which further makes the process slow and complicated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes