Wish: Add Command line option "Merge" to ! _Extend

I would like to be able to extend curves and lines with the ! _Extend without affecting them, which means that it should behave in the same way as the ! _ExtendSrf command, which already has such an option.

2 Likes

Hi Bobi - yep, agree - I think I have put this on the pile in the past but if not, I will add it.

RH-5921 Join option

-Pascal

3 Likes

Thanks, @pascal ! Hopefully this option will be added in Rhino 8. I noticed that the original request was made 11 years ago. :slight_smile:

1 Like

RH-5921 is fixed in Rhino 8 Service Release 4 Release Candidate

1 Like

Great! I just tested it and it works like a charm. :slight_smile:

Could it be possible to automatically apply a Curvature graph to the newly created extension made with the Join=No option, when the input curve already has a Curvature graph displayed? Not a big deal, but I think that this would avoid the extra mouse clicks needed to add the new separate extended curve or line to the list of objects that use a Curvature graph.

Extending a surface also needs to automatically apply Curvature graph and/or Zebra analysis to the output surface when the Merge=No option is used.

Also, there is a possible bug with the ! _ExtendSrf command related to the preview. If you try to extend the following surface, the preview shows a white curved line along with a straight black surface outline that does not correspond to the actual curved output surface.
You will also notice that at certain angles the white preview curve disappears, possibly due to some issues with the clipping plane/bubble. This happens after the 1:26 minute of the video below.

Extend the right surface edge to find nice bugs.3dm (54.9 KB)

I recorded this behaviour in a short video using the same file:

RH-79871 Add Analysis to Outputs of Extend and ExtendSrf

RH-79872 ExtendSrf Preview Disappears

1 Like