WISH - Ability to hide categories

This would be a very useful feature for us. That way we could keep our support for all languages under one URL. Then anyone that didn’t want to see or read some or all of the languages they could turn them off.

I know our support team (and many of our users) is usually reading and posting in two more more languages.

1 Like

I’m not so sure that concept is going to work since the rest of the user interface for discourse would always be in english. From what I can tell, the current way that discourse is designed you pick the default localization for your site.

I think most people would rather have more and better answers to the support questions. Chrome would do a reasonable job of translating the UI bits.Plus, with the icons, I don’t think a localized UI is nearly as important a the discussions.

I disagree 100%.

Using Chrome to do localization only works for (a) people using Chrome and (b) people who are happy with incorrect translations sometimes.

Also, it will make the default view for all users a total mess - over 90% of the category names will be illegible. More and better answers only count if I can read them. Many Europeans will be able to read three or four languages, but that still gives them at least 60% of the categories and posts being unintelligible (we support 11 languages).

To clean it up, every single user would need to log in and configure their categories properly. This just seems hideous from a user experience point of view.

I’ll be lobbying hard for a separate instance per language.

Of course, I’m only thinking of this from my view point. I only read one language but I would love to see what is happening on the other language discussions.

I look at many sites that not in English now and I don’t really care about the UI translation. I’m only interested in the content, and the UI in another language has never gotten in my way.

I think we should leave this to the people that can read only one language that is not English.

I just opened a topic to discuss the design of this feature on meta, http://meta.discourse.org/t/category-preferences/7581 we still want to take care of sub-categorization first, however more ui mocks and design will help us a lot here.

BIG +1 from me! Oh, and the Discourse Automatic Robot Brain Helper just prevented me from posting another request just like this by showing me a list of similar topics as I was typing my own post (which I could then cancel before posting)… I’m really liking this Discourse-thingy!!!

-Jakob

1 Like

Yeah, I’m wondering if there’s any movement on this. As this Rhino forum adds more and more sections (like Bongo) that have no relevance to my uses whatsoever, this feature is more and more necessary to keep the posts we want to see front and center. Thx…

4 Likes

FYI this is now complete, you can mute any categories you wish.

1 Like

Thanks… how does one go about doing that? It’s not obvious to me… thx!

Hey Heath, User Page > Preferences > at the bottom of the page are the Category settings, last one being the Muted categories. Just click in the box and start typing the name of the category that you don’t want to see.

3 Likes

THANKS! Yes, that’s not where I was looking, so that helps. :smile: