Wirecut changing layer

Hey guys,
I’ve noticed that after upgrading to RH7 that the wirecut command with delete input = no that part of the resulting geo will remain on the original layer, but all other parts will change layer to the active layer. In RH6 all geometry would stay on the assigned layer regardless of the active layer.

Any ideas why this is happening? Is this a bug, or is there a reason behind it?

Many thanks,
Aaron

On a simple test here, I’m not seeing that - can you post an example (before the wirecut operation)?

Sure. The blue is the active layer, the purple is a different layer. I’ve wirecut the base of the bezel and you can see part of the purple geometry change to the active layer.

Can you post a file with the just the bezel and the cutting curve? I still can’t reproduce that with something similar to your geometry.

Of course, here’s the file.Wirecut.3dm (1.5 MB)

OK, not happening here with your file either…

Can you run SystemInfo and copy/paste the results here?

I don’t have V-Ray installed here, don’t know if temprarily disabling that makes a difference?

Rhino 7 SR5 2021-4-10 (Rhino 7, 7.5.21100.03001, Git hash:master @ 2cd158094b595f6400479d7cbe511454b6149527)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-04-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19041 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 64Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 3-25-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 465.89
> Accelerated graphics device with 8 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #1
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #4

Secondary graphics devices.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 11GB, Driver date: 3-25-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Accelerated graphics device with 0 adapter port(s)
- There are no monitors attached to this device!

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-25-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6589
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 11 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
D:\Dropbox\Software\Other\HDR Light Studio\Rhino_6_Win_2018.1130\HDRLightStudioTexture.rhp “HDRLightStudioTexture”
C:\Grasshopper Gold\food4rhino\plugin Rhino\ElefrontProperties.rhp “ElefrontProperties” 1.0.0.0
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin (ecfe8d1f-876a-460f-aa5e-3dd816936811)\1.0.0.0\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin\Rhino 5.0\KeyShot9RhinoPlugin.rhp “KeyShot9RhinoPlugin” 1.0.0.0
C:\Users\aaron\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\IntelDenoiser\0.5.1\IntelDenoiser.Windows.rhp “IntelDenoiser.Windows” 0.1.0.0
C:\Users\aaron\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\SubstanceImporter\1.0.0\Substance.Win.rhp “SubstanceImporter” 1.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.5.21100.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I just tried it with Vray disabled, no difference.

I meant to say it’s with the KeepAll=Yes that this is happening, rather than the DeleteInput=No option.

I just tried it in a new default instance of RH7, same thing happening.

I assumed that, otherwise part of your object would have been deleted. However, there must be something else going on here - I have no idea what though. @wim - can you test this?

Does not happen here either - I would try with all of these plugins disabled in Options > PLug-ins page (then restart Rhino):

HDRLightStudioTexture
ElefrontProperties
V-Ray for Rhino
KeyShot9RhinoPlugin
SubstanceImporter

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal - I just tried with all those disabled - same issue.

Hi Aaron - I see this in 7.5, apparently it has been fixed - you can get the fixed (7.6) version by changing the ‘Update frequency’ in Options > Updates and Statistics page to ‘Service release candidate’

-Pascal

1 Like

Nice one! That’s sorted it out. Thanks guys, you’re the reason this community rocks.

That explains it - I am running the 7.6 RC here.