WIP doesn't install

Hi,

the automatically loaded recent WIP update doesn’t install.

The setup asks for admin rights - granted.
Then it download C++ runtime.
At ~ 50% of the progress bar the window disappears.
Then nothing more happens.

Except creating the log file, see attached.

Rhino_WIP_20160721115639.zip (3.7 KB)

And yes, of course I tried a reboot.

Thanks,
-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

The log file appears to be incomplete.
I do see several entries about a list of Microsort Redistributable tools we expect to be installed requiring “MajorUpgrade”.

My guess is your Windows is not fully updated with all “Important updates” from Microsoft.

Run Check for Updates and check. If there are Important updates, download and install them, then restart Windows and run Check for updates again.
Repeat the process until Windows reports there are no more important updates.

Then try running the Rhino WIP installer again.

John, Windows is up to date.
No updates pending.

I recently installed VS2015 CE.
Perhaps this fact can have to do with the issue?

-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

I doubt it but I don’t know. I do not use any developer tools.
Maybe @dale or @stevebaer will know.

Can you open the log file? If so, search for “Value 3”. That’s the MSI error code. The information before it will be what the installer was trying to do when it crapped out.

Not to find.
Most recent log file from today morning is attached.Rhino_WIP_20160722080507.zip (3.3 KB)

BTW, Rhino WIP is too smart.
Yesterday it said 1 day left in the title bar.
Today, Rhino was still running, the title bar still said 1 day left.
But save and copy were deactivated.
My unsaved geometry was lost…
…but that doesn’t matter of course.

Still unable to install the latest WIP…
What could I check?

?

No one knows?
I now have no new WIP to play with… and can’t save.

Ah, holiday time, right?

I recently installed the WIP and had to download my runtime (14.0.23918) from this site, because the installer couldn’t download it from Microsoft. Not really your problem, but perhaps, well, that is at least the version of Redist_VC2015 the WIP needed three weeks ago…

Thanks Marcus.

For now I will not install what you recommended.
I think NcNeel should have the chance to understand the nature of the problem before.

I’ll wait for one week or so.
They shall enjoy their vacation, that’s important as well.

Sure, although I don’t think there is too much to figure out here. In your log file it says:

[0AC4:1B7C][2016-07-21T11:56:39]i052: Condition ‘VC2015_exists=1 AND VC2015_build>=23918’ evaluates to false.

In my case it also said:

[5558:4E9C][2016-07-07T16:45:32]e000: Error 0x80070002: Failed attempt to download URL: ‘https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/5/0/0504B211-6090-48B1-8DEE-3FF879C29968/vc_redist.x64.exe’ to: ‘C:.…\Redist_VC2015’

Since the installer is checking for any version newer than build 23918 simply installing the newest one cannot be wrong. But waiting is okay, too, of course.

Hi Charles,

Sorry to be so slow getting back to you about this.

There was a new build released yesterday - can you please download it and see if it will install? If it doesn’t please send a fresh install log for me to evaluate.

Hi Brian,

no luck…

rhino_de-de_6.0.16208.08111.exe

Rhino_WIP_20160727214602.zip (3.4 KB)

Sure you’ll find out.

@Charles Thanks for checking.

The error in your log file indicates that a different version of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 runtimes are installed, but Rhino doesn’t seem to be able to detect them :confused:

Can you please open Regedit and send me a screen shot of what’s in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes\x64

I see this:

Nothing:

@Brian:
What else can I check here?

My Regedit entry looks exactly like Brian’s after I installed the redistributable from the MSDN Blog… But waiting is okay, too, of course… ^^

Hi Charles,

There was a WIP a few weeks ago that installed a newer build of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 runtimes (64-bit). That newer version has since been deleted by Microsoft.

Let’s try this:

1. From Add/Remove Programs, uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64)
  2. Try installing the Rhino WIP - you may need to download it separately, because once you uninstall from step (1), Rhino won’t properly start.

Does that work?

@brian

Success!

Uninstalled this as you told me:

The WIP installs now as usual.
Thank you!

-C-H-A-R-L-E-S-

I could not install it too, almost immediate termination.

Rhino_WIP_20160802190742.txt (21.5 KB)

@yck011522
The log shows the Visual Studio C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 failed.
See if you can download and run the installer yourself:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784