WIP 8: Library problems

I just downloaded the February 14th WIP and checked out the libraries again. I appreciate that we now have the option to “Show only files in the current folder” vs “Show all the file under the current folder”.

Unfortunately, the “Show only files in the current folder” option only works if there are no subfolders.
Here is a screenshot of the same folder in both Rhino 7 and 8.

In 7 you can clearly see the render materials in the “Gems” folder along with a subfolder called “Opaque Gems”.

Looking at the same “Gems” folder in Rhino 8, you cannot see any of the render materials. You can only see that there is a subfolder called “Opaque Gems”.

Ideally the “Show only files in the current folder” option would work the same as the default behavior in Rhino 7. When we have a folder with both a file(s) and subfolder(s) in it, I would expect to see at least the file(s) previewed in the display area of the Library panel. It would be nice to see the subfolders in the display area too, not only in the file tree, as we see them in Rhino 7.

Yes, this is clearly a bug. Thanks for pointing it out.

This should be fixed in the next WIP.

1 Like

With all of the talk of the Rhino 8 UI Freeze coming soon, I want to make sure that this topic doesn’t get left behind. Drag-and-drop for file types other than render materials (.3dm files in particular!) directly from the Libraries is a very big deal for our workflow and our students.

Yes, this is under our radar and there will be no regression in v8 compared to v7.

1 Like

We have brought the v7 Libraries back to v8. It is called File Explorer in v8. So there should be no regression in v8.

Then we still do have the new Render Libraries that is more specific for render content.