Windows 10 Creators Update - REVISED - Fixed with V5 SR14

Hmmm. I guess this opens up more questions than answers:

Have previous versions of the installer worked properly for you?

Do you have a virus scanner that could be blocking the installation?

Do you see any UI at all when the installer hangs? Or does it hang before the UI appears?

Are you asked to provide administrator access before it hangs?

Yes

Maybe. I use Webroot anti-virus program.

It hangs up before the installer window appears. If I restart Windows Explorer, the installer window appears for a moment and then nothing happens.

No

I tried it again. This time the installer window appeared after about 10 second delay. I had to enter Rhino 5 and Rhino 4 license keys. The installer said that the installation was successful. The new version is 32-bit version (as shown in the following screenshot) and Bongo plugin is gone. The installer file disappeared after installation.

The 64-bit version is still on my computer, and it seems to be updated, (as shown in the following screenshot). Bongo plugin is still installed in the 64-bit version.

That’s really bizarre. Rhino doesn’t delete its own installer file. This really sounds like some other process getting in the way - perhaps it is Webroot. Various anti-virus and anti-malware tools are pretty aggressive these days - especially with a relatively new and rarely seen file like these release candidate builds.

Can you look in the activity log of Webroot to see if it mentions anything about the installer?

I agree. A few days ago Webroot Secure Anywhere interfered with updating video editing program called Power Director. Webroot claimed that Power Director had hidden virus called W32.Adware.Gen.

I looked there (website report, scan log, and threat log). The only threat mentioned there is the Power Director. (By the way, Webroot is well known for false positives.)

How can I find a list of bug fixes and improvements of the latest version of Rhino 5?

There aren’t any besides the adaptations that were made to deal with Windows 10 Creators edition and high-dpi displays - the only reason for this SR. If you have neither of those, you should not notice any difference between SR 13 and SR 14.

–Mitch

HI jim,

I would recommend you better disable Windows update by following this website http://www.howali.com/2017/04/disable-turn-off-windows-defender-in-windows-10-8-7.html

Otherwise all future updates will also get installed on your computer.

Just bought a new Windows 10 laptop (1920x1080 display) and will be installing Rhino on it sometime soon-ish. The Creators Update was automatically installed when the system was setting up, and I subsequently cleaned out the old Windows install to save HD space. Just wanted to check whether I will be able to run Rhino on this system, and the general status on Rhino issues related to the Creators Update? Cheers, Anders

Run SR14 and it should be fine.

Excellent, glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.

Hi!

I have this problem num ber 2, but the worst is that now the layers window don’t appear!
It’s a big problem!
Thanks!
Sandrine
I’m on windows 8!

I’m afraid I know the answer to this, but I have to ask anyway:

Like so many here, the Windows 10 Creators update rolled on my computer without asking. Unfortunately I was working on a non-CAD project at the time, so by the time I figured out something was wrong it was too late to roll back.

I’m using Rhino 4.0 SR9. As far as I know that’s the latest upgrade for R4. I had some other issues a re-installation of my NVidia driver fixed, but the layers pane is blank. (Put me down for #2.)

I’m glad you’ve come up with a fix for Rhino 5, but is there any hope for someone who’s still using R4?

Thanks,

Tom

You are doing yourself a disfavour by sticking with Rhino 4. Rhino 5 is so much better than 4 that I can’t imagine having to go back to 4. I used to run SpaceClaim along with Rhino 4, but I can’t even remember the last time I opened SpaceClaim to support Rhino modeling since upgrading to 5.

https://vimeo.com/album/2128199

I doubt you will get a solution to the Windows issue. I wouldn’t expect Mcneel to support old versions to make them compatible. If so, what about version 1, 1.1, 2 and 3?

Just my opinion.

Dan

They will not release a new update for Rhino4.
That would be like Microsoft now going back and release an update for Windows XP :wink:

So if you want Rhino 4 you’ll have to stick to Windows 7.

Here is a list over the OS’s that were new about the same time as Rhino we released:
Rhino 1 - Windows 3
Rhino 2 - Windows XP
Rhino 3 - Windows Vista
Rhino 4 - Windows 7
Rhino 5 - Windows 8
Rhino 6 - Windows 10

Actually I would say Windows 98… --Mitch

I’ll meet you on '95 :wink:

1 Like

Ah, of course I stand corrected! I used the beta first for almost two years.

Solution For Rhino 4 Users in latest Windows Update:
After installing the Fall Creators Update for Windows today, Rhino layers dialog was broken in the expected manner. I solved it by right-clicking on the Rhino4.exe>Properties>Compatibility mode>“Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7” Compatibility & “Override High DPI Scaling Behavior”>Scaling performed by Application" If this does not work initially, run the Troubleshooter on the same tab and select “The program opens but does not display correctly.”

I assume this will also work for RH5

Hello.

We here at architecture studio from Portugal, are feeling bad issues after latest windows 10 fall creators update. Some machines in which are installed Windows 10 Pro x64 and massively working in Rhino 5 SR14 + Latest Vray plugin, have systematic CRASHING / FREEZING all pc.
The Windows 7 machine do not have this issue. It run smoothly.
So, because we are running dead line projects, need some stable Windows Versions.
Any suggestions from here Mcneel Forum?
we have tried to reach MIcrosoft support via Microsoft help insider, but no one answer.