Will we ever get option changes stick between open instances?

will rhino ever save setting made in one instance to the another. it’s frustrating to make sure you have to shut down the rhino you made changes in last.

There are some that do, and some that don’t… For example, if I change the background color in Options>Appearance>Color and I have several Rhino instances open, it changes them all…

Anything in the settings file here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\settings\settings-Scheme__Default.xml (or whatever scheme name)

should get changed immediately if a change is made in any open instance AFAIK.

Toolbars on the other hand do not get saved immediately, either you have to force a save or close a Rhino instance.

What options are you talking about?

I support this idea; specifically for toolbar and button changes which have frequently caught me and my colleagues out.

mainly custom alias’ and custom toolbar buttons. i’m a customising junkie. i’ll be real bummed if i can’t transfer my customizations to 6 or 7 but that’s a different topic all together. :wink:

This issue has been risen in the past (rhino 5) along with the complexity of saving settings across multiple instances. I didn’t see any will to address that.
I hope some time will be spent in 7 to enhance docking/toolbar/customization.
It’s been years now that a simple thing like docking positions don’t even stick at their places with a simple minimize/restore of rhino. A simple reload config could ease our pain temporarily.

Shining with new features is nice and easy to sell, but shining with a “not so easy to manage” UI should be a real concern too.

2 Likes