Wiki post ideas?

So there is this option to make a wiki post (regular users have this option) and I want to see if we can gather ideas where this might be useful for. So if you do have ideas, you can edit this post :slight_smile:

Edited. :slight_smile: // Rolf

So, apart from being able to edit a communal post, how does this differ from a normal post? Is it fully wikiā€™ed up so you can see the edit history, who changed what etc? Regards Jeremy

Example might be: making a list of all posts about fillet edge failures, then all can be added by anyone to the top post. So things stay together.

Edit: Ivelin
How about we create a post similar to the one created by David Rutten about ā€œhow to ask questionsā€ in a Wiki format?
Edit: BVR
What happens when 5 to 6 members edit at the same time

Not yet sure if there is any added value. Wonder if the title can also be changed by others?
Btw itā€™s not a wiki as in Wikipedia
Here is some info:

However, unlike that article mentions, here is still a reply button

Hmm, could be interesting. We already have a Wiki, but not many people can edit it. This would be more open. However, it does risk to further create ā€œinformation dilutionā€ - too many different places to look to find answers.

In any case, if itā€™s to be useful as a Wiki, it needs to have itā€™s own category.

I agree. What I would find useful if there was a place you can point people to (which could be the wiki post) that covers a faq. Then theses faq wiki posts can be adjusted/refined by active users along the way when new cases demand additional info.

The wiki post could also be just a link collector so that all related posts about a subject can be placed in a growing list

Thatā€™s what the current Wiki does (or is intended to do). However, the number of editors is very limitedā€¦ This might be easier, but at the same time attract a lot of miscellaneous stuff. What will be interesting is when there is a disagreement, as anyone can edit anyone elseā€™s info in the post, could be a free-for-allā€¦

XNURBS anyone? :laughing:

On a more serious note, the invitation was to edit the original wiki post, but weā€™ve automatically dropped back into regular thread post mode. I think that could cause problems with the integrity of a wiki.

That is normal. Even a wiki post will have discussion. And that is something you do seperately from editing the information the initial post contains.

Handling the discussion in the original post is weird, IMO.

1 Like

yes but I think that in practice, this will regulate itself. But the interesting part is that everyone CAN add something along the way. I imagine that someone has this problem, finds the wiki but also finds a solution later that was not on that page. Of couse it can be added as a comment in a reply, but keeping the information together could be nice

thereā€™s two things: I was merely trying out the button and found out that replying was possible even though the article said it was not possible. For the rest it is now a discussion about the wiki feature, so posting in a normal way makes more sense

I agree, one more reason why I continued a normal discussion. If there would be a ā€˜realā€™ wiki item the top one should only contain the information/summary.

this is maybe even a very good example, where if the top post was a wiki post, information could be summarized there

Aye.

Here is a great example

1 Like

Iā€™d like to propose R7 SubD as a topic. Info on commands and best practice is currently scattered across posts, and not all them are relevant to the current build.